1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Passenger Air Bag stays "off" - need help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JC91006, Feb 4, 2014.

1. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've been trying to trouble shoot this for quite some time now and I still can't figure out why the passenger airbag will show "off" and won't turn "on". This is on a 2006 Package 3. I read a properly functioning passenger airbag light would not indicate "off or on" unless someone is sitting on the passenger seat. Mine will show "off" regardless if there is a passenger or not?

I ran a diagnostic with the MiniVci and everything checked out, no error codes, the Airbag ECU is detecting everything as normal. I did a sensitivity check and the weights were within specs. I don't know where else to look. Any ideas?

When I ran the car for DTCs, there were stored DTCs related to SRS but when I checked the summary to get information, it gave me all was working properly, no diagnostics required.

The stored codes are:

b1794
    b1650
    b1826
    b1421

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC B1826 means that the passenger seat side airbag is not operational. Check the wiring to the seat and to the airbag.
    DTC B1421 is the air conditioner solar sensor and can be ignored.
    DTC P1650 is an error in the occupant classification ECU which decides if someone is in the passenger seat.
    DTC P1794 is another error in the occupant classification ECU. A short circuit to ground with the seatbelt buckle switch can cause this.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

I've checked the wires and they all seem to be in place and secure. Strange thing is the DTC is not a current one and it was a stored DTC that's now cleared and supposedly functional.

The receiver on the seat belt is not functional, it doesn't always work. Sometimes I would have to press the release button in order to get the seat belt to lock into the receiver. But I don't think the airbag should be linked to the receiver switch.

I may have to get a new seat, I can't figure this one out.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Was the car in an accident where an airbag deployed? If yes, the SRS ECU is supposed to be replaced.

If the seat belt buckle does not work smoothly, that does imply a prior accident where someone had been in that seat. Also, I've added more info to my prior post above about the previously logged DTCs.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

I bought the car from a member here, he didn't mention it was ever in an accident. I checked all the Vin#s on the body parts, they all matched. The car itself does look a bit rough, but no major dents that would possibly trigger an airbag.