1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Passenger airbag and "occupant classification system"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by adam1991, Apr 5, 2007.

1. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

So yesterday, the occupant classification system in my 07 couldn't make up its mind. Was my wife a child (airbag off), or an adult (airbag on)? She's 118 pounds, 5 foot 5.5 inches tall.

It would switch around as I drove. First it was airbag off, then we'd hit a bump and it was airbag on. Go around a corner and it's airbag off again.

Put me in the seat, it's airbag on, period. Put my dad in the seat (40 pounds lighter than me), it's airbag on. But my wife was apparently right in the middle of its range somehow.

Took it to the dealer this afternoon. The service writer was able to make the problem happen, and he's 140 pounds. He found no codes in the computer.

They recalibrated the system and we all crossed our fingers. I think he said it's supposed to trigger the adult setting at 66 pounds.

We'll see.

I'd hate for this to be an issue. The occupant classification system is obviously a weak point. The engineers and lawyers have got to be walking a tightrope with that one--they want to keep the airbag from deploying if someone is foolish enough to put a child in the front seat, but they want the airbag to deploy for an adult. A mistake either way is potentially fatal, on an equal level.

But of course, the nanny Toyota won't give me a key slot to turn the airbag off and let me make the decision on who is in the passenger seat.

It would have been easier and more reliable simply to say, "You should never put children under the age of 13 in the front passenger seat" and simply leave the airbag on if it senses weight, and off (to save on repair costs) if it doesn't sense weight. If the sensor is broken, fail safe to airbag on.

But trying to sense the appropriate weight/dimensions for an adult so the computer can make the decision for you--in the end, that's destined to cause more problems than it's worth.

2. edselpdx

edselpdx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adam1991 @ Apr 5 2007, 04:46 PM) [snapback]418511[/snapback]</div>
    It actually doesn't sound right. My 13 pound dachshund make it flicker, and my briefcase turns the airbag on (and flashes the seatbelt warning) if my laptop's in it.

3. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(edselpdx @ Apr 6 2007, 07:37 PM) [snapback]419128[/snapback]</div>
    I know I have put a small bag of groceries on the front seat and placed my arm up on the headrest of the passenger seat and the airbag light goes off, then sometimes the fasten seatbelt flashes and beeps like crazy. not often enough to take in though due to 90 miles round trip to any dealer.

weight sensor is all messed up I think

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(edselpdx @ Apr 6 2007, 05:37 PM) [snapback]419128[/snapback]</div>
    The airbags system in the 06 and 07 model years is more sophisticated than the one in the 04 and 05 model years. In the newer models the passenger airbag is actually turned off when the seat is unoccupied or has a child or a very small adult seated in it. I do not believe that is so in the older models. There, I think, the sensor only triggers the seatbelt reminder light and beep.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    With the help of my co-workers we performed a passenger airbag sensor test today on my 2006. Participants were weighed on a doctor office type scale before the test. Participant "A" weighs 94 pounds and did not activate the airbag. Participant "B" weighs 100 pounds and did activate the airbag. I conclude my airbags are activated between 95-100 pounds. Participant "Driver" weighs more than "A" and "B" combined so this is not a practical problem for me. However, this is worth mentioning to lighter people who may then choose to ride in the back.

6. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Apr 24 2007, 11:24 PM) [snapback]429517[/snapback]</div>
    The problem is that the weight sensor setting seems to vary from car to car. Hasn't Toyota given any guidelines?

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How is the weight sensing actually done in the newer cars? In my
    '04 there's a single very definite spot where the weight sensor
    switch is; I marked it with a little Sharpie dot, in fact, so I know
    exactly where it is when I might be loading something into the front
    seat. Took a bit of finger probing, but once I got there I could
    feel a slight bump where the switch is.
    _H*

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Storing things under the seat will also mess up the weight reading. My wife likes to stuff her purse under there, but it can make the car think the seat is empty. Watch out for that.

Tom

9. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Apr 24 2007, 10:12 PM) [snapback]429539[/snapback]</div>
    I did notice where the sensor must be in ours due to placing objects on the seat, it appears to be located on the inner most side of the seat (closest to the console side) sio if I place a bag on the seat I have to put it next to the door.

10. donalmilligan089

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just replaced my 2005 seat with a bruno turn out seat and the sensor is a y shaped very thin wire in a plastic cover that was centered in seat bottom. There is no wiring in the handicapped seat Can I put the prius sensor in the bottom of the handicapped seat or will I trigger the air bag.? there is also a s air bag bolted to the side of the prius seat .
    where could that be mounted . I am scared to try but need passenger protection