1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Passenger axel clicking

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by kicker22004, Apr 9, 2022.

1. kicker22004

kicker22004 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello everyone,
    I recently did wheel bearings on the front of my 2010 Prius and in doing so I found that the passenger axle needed to be replaced. Somebody prior to me had ruined the threads by what looks to be taking it off or screwing it on with the tab punched in and the threads were mostly stripped. I bought an axle from O'Reilly's and installed it but it clicks back and forth when you stop and go. I confirmed this by getting underneath and rotating it with my hand and you can hear it clicking in the transmission it is all the way inserted but I fear that it is undersized slightly. My question is should I grease the axle because I have only worked with older transmissions where that was what you did and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to do that with this or should I get a replacement axle. Thank you

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @ChapmanF mentioned on here once that the dampener doesn't come on aftermarket axles. Not sure if that's the cause of the click, but did you notice the lack of that part on the axle?

3. kicker22004

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for responding. I'm not sure what that part is or how to find it. I didn't see anything extra when I was installing the new axel. Luckily I still have the original so I have attached photos of it maybe you can see something I might have missed. If you have any links or anybody else have links that could assist me it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    IMG20220409175414.jpg IMG20220409175407.jpg IMG20220409175404.jpg

4. kicker22004

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just spent some time looking that up and it seems to be that rubber thing in the middle of the axle. You would be correct that the new one did not have that and that is probably the source of a vibration that I have been feeling since I installed it but that isn't the source of the click. The reason I know this is I have climbed underneath the car and can move the axle back and forth causing a small click that is just amplified when driving. Does anybody know where I can buy one that has the damper on it is a Toyota dealer part only?