1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Passenger CV joint and one sided rear brake - 2013 Plug-in, 230,000 miles

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Dermot McGuigan, Aug 25, 2024 at 6:05 PM.

1. Dermot McGuigan

Dermot McGuigan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Passenger side CV joint leaking, no sounds when I crank wheel, drives well. Garage says to replace CV axle assembly on both sides. Online quotes (Hudson Valley, NY) show $1K+ to do both and $800 or so to do one. Does it make sense to do both sides (just in case)? And could it be solved by just replacing the rubber cover, though everything has got to be removed to find out.? I have to have it shop done. Shop quotes $860, better than the online average.

Following what I read on this site I used the B setting to remove rust on both rear brake rotors, one side cleared up well, the other side brakes on a narrowish band of the rotor, leaving about 60% bandwidth rusted. After driving there is noticeably more heat coming of the wheel with the partial pad-to-rotor connection.
    Dealer wants $600 to replace pads and rotors on both rear wheels. 35,000 miles on them and five years of use. Is there any other trick I can try to get that one pad fully engaging the rotor.

Bought car used with 200,000 miles, odo at 235K now. I have enjoyed five trouble free years. Getting 10 miles charge this summer, which I am happy with.