1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Passenger door locks with key inside

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by lindyq, Feb 23, 2015.

1. lindyq

lindyq Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    This has happened to me several times: I park my car in the daycare provider's driveway, leaving the car off, but the key in my pocketbook in the car. I get my grandson and return to the car 5 minutes later, to find that the the passenger door is locked. I have to open the driver door and reach around to pull the passenger door handle from the inside. What's this about??
    I

2. harper42

harper42 Member

I posted about a similar situation a couple years ago and was told it was impossible. My keys remain in my purse inside the car all of the time. I drive next door to check on my disabled daughter and turn the car off. When I come out, drivers door is locked. Fortunately, back door was not so I entered that way and reached up to unlock front door. Told my husband about it and not sure he believed me until one day we were about to leave home, me in passenger seat and he in drivers seat. Before we started the car, he forgot something and returned inside. When he came back out, his door was locked. I have driven a Prius since 2006. This has probably happened half a dozen times, Models 2006, 2010 and 2013.

lindyq likes this.
  3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have your door locks been customized to do this? Mine were at the dealership, at my request.

I believe the factory default was to unlock all doors when the car is placed in Park. But this is configurable, and for security when visiting questionable areas, I selected a 'don't unlock' choice. The driver and front passenger door will unlock by simply pulling the inside handle. Rear passengers must first flip their lock off first.

How was your car customized? It can be changed.

Will the passenger door unlock from the outside by pressing the key fob unlock button twice in rapid succession? Or by hitting the electric unlock button on the driver door armrest? If not, then you have an electric or mechanical failure that ought to be repaired.

lindyq likes this.
  4. lindyq

lindyq Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    All doors unlock when the car is placed in park, and the fob button and door rest buttons all work properly. I'm wondering if anyone has had the problem I've described and been able to fix it. It's only a minor inconvenience, so not worth wasting time at the dealer trying to convince them the problem is real, and then waiting around while they cluelessly try to figure out what the issue is....

5. amati5

amati5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yesterday I happened to have both keys with me. I left one in the car and one in pocket. When I got out of the car and try to lock it, it would not let me and made a loud steady beep. I looked on the display and it said "Key detected in car".

6. harper42

harper42 Member

The Prius has a mind of its own and likes to mess around with us owners