1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Passenger door not unlocking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by caradactal, Dec 6, 2011.

1. caradactal

caradactal New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi all-

My front passenger door will not unlock when i activate the locks from the driver's side door- all other locks (driver's door, back seat, trunk) do unlock when activated (from both inside and out). When I try to use the locking feature on the passenger door it does not respond, nor does it respond the the key fob. The only way I can unlock my passenger door is manually.

Is this something I can fix at home?

Thanks in advance!

2. jpadc

jpadc Type before I think too often

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Are the above really good directions for the OP? The pics on the first page there are for the Gen 3. The doors look very different between Gen 2 and 3.

4. caradactal

caradactal New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Is there any way to tell if I need to replace the lock solenoid vs an actuator?

5. jpadc

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, you are correct that they are for the gen 3. I believe the only two screws to be removed are in the same place on the gen 2 and gen 3 and that, I think, is helpful...

Still good to point out...

6. jpadc

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, once you have the door cover off and are to the actuator, you can simply power it with a live 12 volt source and if it moves in and out, its not the actuator that is the problem

7. J.Wilkie

J.Wilkie 80 Mile Daily Commute

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Somewhere on here just search for replacing your speakers in a Gen 2. Good detailed directions on door cover removal. I actually think I found them through Google?!?

Also, I'm having the same problem on my 05'. The passenger door, and the rear driver side door won't unlock. More of a PITA than anything. After the holidays I will get around to checking it.

What's a good 12V source to use?

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Two 6V lantern batteries in series
    2. A lab power supply set to 12V

1 person likes this.
  9. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    actuators are $5 to $10 parts, unfortunately there is no way to replace just an actuator in a toyota, you have to replace the whole locking mechanism, the part is over $300 and requires an hour of labor. this happened to both our '92 camrys, our rx300 and one of our two prius, the dealer swears it has nothing to do with the cold climate, so I guess toyota hasn't figured out it needs a new source for these parts cause after 20 years the supplier that makes these parts still can't get it right.
    replacing the 12V battery can help a little as a newer battery will be able to send more juice to the actuator, but is not a permanent fix, and unfortunately once it happens to the drivers door its a pain in the butt cause the pull out key is so small its hard to unlock the door as your thumb and index finger can hardly get any torque to turn the lock.

1 person likes this.