1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Passenger seat disaster: replace? Repair?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by troilus1, Jul 17, 2014.

1. troilus1

troilus1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey, you knowledgeable folks. Thanks in advance for any and all help. Here's the story (short-ish version):

My Ex borrowed my Prius III (cloth seats) 2 weeks ago, and transported her cat. The cat, tho a sweetheart, peed out the side of the carrier. My Ex tried to clean it by dousing the seat (within an hour or so) with two bottles of cat urine cleaner. (sigh)

For two weeks, the car reeked of cleaning chemicals. Now, the chemical reek is faded, but the cat pee smell has returned. Before you ask, she's offered to pay for whatever fix is needed, but I'm trying to do the most cost-effective thing to rid myself of that smell. My questions:

1) The smell is likely deep in the foam of the seat. Is it even possible to clean this? If so, how?
    2) If it is not possible, it seems like my best bet is to replace the seat. I'm very handy, but in the realm of autos, I've only worked on older cars (1980s or older). Is it possible to DIY replace this seat? If so, where would I look for a replacement? (I'd want to replace it with the exact same seat.) Can I replace just the seat part (the back rest escaped w/o pee)?

Again, thank you so much for your help. It can't come soon enough.

-David

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There's this junkyard in Sunland with tons and tons of Prius wrecks. Look on craigslist and you'll see many parts listed by them in Sunland. Buy the entire seat............bolt it on, only 4 bolts.

Why in the world would you let your EX borrow your car?

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Exactly, also, the ex should've put the carrier in the back or the rear passenger footwell, not on the seat. SMH

SCH-I535

4. Burna J

Burna J Knot Right Performance....

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are your seats grey? If they are, I've got set that I'm looking to get rid of cheap. They're perfected.
    And there local p/u for you.

[​IMG]

Heck, I even got the whole back seat. If you let it happen again.... :sneaky:

[​IMG]

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Use seatcovers. These are the worlds best seat covers. Mine are 7 years old and still look good. Extra foam padding and waterproof and bulletproof. Machine washable.Plus they really jazz up the interior:

Toyota Car Seat Covers - Wet Okole Hawaii

6. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Got a link? Or name for this place?

7. troilus1

troilus1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Burna - I believe those are my seats! Does the center segment of the cloth have golf-ball-like pips? If so, I'm in. Quote me a price.

And don't worry - it won't happen again ;-)

8. troilus1

troilus1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you all so much! This is exactly the info I needed. And, at the prices I'm seeing for salvage, knowing I can replace it myself, it makes no sense to pay an arm and a leg to try to get this cleaned.

Thank you so much.

As to why I let my ex borrow my car...I wish I'd consulted you fine folks first ;-)

Thanks again,

-D

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    off topic but I knew another guy that "rented" a car for his Ex, Ex drove the car, got into an accident, and fled the scene of the accident. EX's name was not on the rental. Ex got arrested, he was crazy enough to post bail for his EX (through bail bonds).

Short version, he ended up being responsible for the repair of the car (insurance didn't cover EX), lost his money on the bail bonds.

Although your case is much milder, doing things (favors) for Ex's........is just nuts.

10. Burna J

Burna J Knot Right Performance....

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You've got a PM.

11. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would steam clean/hot water extract the seat, then use an ozone machine to remove the odors. A detail shop should be able to handle this.

phoenixgreg likes this.