1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Passenger seat sensor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Dripps, May 20, 2006.

1. Dripps

Dripps New Member

I just learned something very interesting. I have a doggie car seat which is held by placing the support behind the headrest. I was going on a short errand by myself tonight so I put the seat next to me in the front (passenger front seat) and let my 9 lb dog sit up front with me. This doggie seat does not touch the seat---but perhaps it does rest against the back of the seat. Sure enough...air bag wasn't activated but that seat belt beep was going off when I started driving. I guess the sensor for the passenger isn't in the seat cushion! No wonder why my passengers can't fool it by pushing up against the back of the seat, removing their weight from the seat cushion. Did anyone else know this is how it worked?

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I wonder if there are multiple sensors then. I have a 16 lb dog that spends plenty of time in the car with me (mainly when we drive the 2 hours to visit my mom). he always just jumps in and lays down on the seat, never touching the back, but the seat belt beep goes off every time.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    weird... the sensor is on the seat bottom on my 05.

4. Brian K

Brian K New Member

I can't tell you where the sensor is, but I can tell you that my photo gear sets it off. I keep my photo bag on the seat next to me with the seat belt holding it. The passenger seat belt light blinks all day.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    there are 4 weight sensors- one in each corner of the seat bottom.

since your doggie seat strapped to the top of the seat without touching the bottom, sounds like the weight pushing down from the seatback was enough to activate the back sensors or something.

6. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I notice when I shove my laptop into my bag and place that on the seat that the annoy.. er warning beep goes off too, I think the total weight of the bag is in the range of 10-12 pounds.