1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Passenger side door & engine power on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Phil Cochetti, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Phil Cochetti

Phil Cochetti New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a consistent problem when I turn off my 2004 Prius. I park, press power the button to power down. Exit from the drivers side, walk around and open the passenger side door to grab a bag or something else, and the entire vehicle including engine turns back on. This also happens if a passenger exits the car after I have fully exited the car. The dash, radio, AC and engine pop back to life!

On accident, I have left my car idling like this for days at a time (until it ran out of gas). Today I only noticed it because my catalytic converter was stolen. I listened to a car with basically no exhaust system starting up every ten minutes or so from my office all day. I even commented to a coworker, "Hear that... that's exactly what my car sounds like"

Has anyone experienced this problem before? Friends and family have told me I am crazy and must be distracted and forgetting to turn it off. However, I have reproduced the issue multiple times and in the presence of others...

I cant imagine this is a safety feature as it engages the engine (still in park) without depressing the brake pedal.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this can be difficult to diagnose. might be vermin chewing on wires, a low 12v battery or bad connection somewhere.
    are there any dash lights on? is the car running perfectly in every other way

3. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Do you have (or did you have) remote starter system installed? Remote start system malfunctioning would be the most likely reason for this. You do have smart key and are not putting the key in slot? Does the Prius power one when you open or close the passenger door?