1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

passenger side headlight higher than driver side

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by alsgameroom, Oct 19, 2005.

1. alsgameroom

alsgameroom Member

Thats right, my passenger side headlamp is aimed a bit higher than the driver side. Havn't had anyone flashing at me and I drive to work when its dark.

Both headlamps seem to be within the proper range, and for all I know the problem could be the drivers side lamp is aimed low.

Anyway, its annoying to me and I fear I may fail inspection when the day arrives, and at that time I'll be out of warantee.

I'm going to mention this to the dealer when I go for my 5000 mile oil change in 2 - 3 weeks.

So has anyone had this issue? Is there an adjistment in the rear of the headlamp assembly?

My sticker says I have Multi reflector Halogen Auto off headlights.

So set me straight on the sensor thing...do I have the leveling sensor in the rear of the car for these head lamps? Is there one sensor or two?

thanks folks!

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The level sensor is found with the High Intensity Discharge headlamps, due to there extra brightness. You have halogen headlamps and the dealer should be able to adjust them to point together at the same level.

3. alsgameroom

alsgameroom Member

Thanks Bill!

I was hoping that was the answer :D

4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think that's the proper arangement. I was always under the impression that the driver side is a little lower for that reason, not to blind oncoming drivers

5. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

I've been under that impression too - all my cars have been that way, or adjusted that way.

6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Maybe the drivers side is low because no one is in the car when they are adjusted? If you sit in the drivers seat when they adjust the headlights they should both be the same, at least untill you get a passenger. :unsure: Try pointing them at a wall then get in and out and see if it makes any difference.

7. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: INFORMATION re: Headlights

2004 Owner's Manual - Section 8-3 "DO-IT-YOURSELF MAINTENANCE" - PAGE 302 - "Checking the headlight aim" Probably same or near same page in the '05 Manual.

Diagram and instructions on adjustment of the headlight aim. Lots of helpful information in the Owner's Manual.

8. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The vehicle has a 12/12,000mi adjustment period where the dealer should do adjustments to the vehicle for free.