1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Passenger side low beam short?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by octomobiki, Jul 2, 2013.

1. octomobiki

octomobiki New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Around 40000 miles ago I purchased a pair of HID for the lowbeam on my 2011 Prius Four. It has worked fine until a few days ago when I noticed it going on/off on a trip home...with it staying on as I entered the driveway. Last night it did the same thing except stayed off this time. So this afternoon I go to take a look.

1. Replace the bulb with another HID bulb...doesn't work.
    2. Replace HID unit with stock bulb - shorts out immediately.
    3. Check voltage at the stock housing and find that it simply says 200-400 mv. check other HID bulb on drivers side - 12.x volts.

question:
    1. I assume it's a short, but just in case was looking for a fuse for the low beam passenger side...couldn't find one...is there one?

2. assuming it is a short, just take it back to dealer? I have a 125k mile warranty on the car, or do we think there are other things I can check to make it work before going through the hassle of setting one up?

any help is most appreciated. -Ross

2. burstaneurysm

burstaneurysm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you do end up going to the dealer, make sure you swap those HIDs out. If they find a fault in the wiring, they will blame it on the HIDs. Some dealers are worse than others, but better to play it safe.

octomobiki likes this.
  3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved to the accessories and mods forum

4. octomobiki

octomobiki New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    to accessories/mods forum? even though we are talking about basic wiring if I put everything back to normal? I would think it would be a technical issue in the car itself since I have eliminated the after market and put stock back on.

Edit: Research shows on this model both low beam are on the same fuse as a bunch of other things (like the horn) - I guess this can safely rule out it being a fuse issue.