1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

passing inspection with EV monitor not in ready state?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by cabral255, Jan 22, 2013.

1. cabral255

cabral255 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I replaced my catalytic converter and O2 sensors on 2002 prius, but now I can't get the EV monitor to complete a drive cycle. The Cat monitor is now fine, as well as every other monitor, but just the EV is blinking when I plug in my scanner. Does anyone know if I can pass inspection like this in MA. I read that you can have one monitor that is not ready, but I am not sure if this one is tied into emissions. Would it still cause me to fail? Thanks, Jay

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Could you post a photo of the "EV" that is blinking?

Tell us more about the 'scanner' make and model.

Bob Wilson

3. cabral255

cabral255 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    scanner is an innova 3030

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I downloaded and read the manual. It looks like it only addresses 'generic' codes and none of the NHW11 Prius specific codes. There are a bunch of Prius specific codes that unit won't be able to read.

I'm still curious about the "EV" error. Can you identify where this error code showed up?
    [​IMG]
    I downloaded the owner's manual and these are the pages covering the error displays. If we can figure out what "EV" is, we'll have something currently unknown.

Here are the various error codes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

5. cabral255

cabral255 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    New code p1437. Ev you seen in pic blinks. I think its a readiness monitor for evap system. Check engine light is off. Do you think i will pass inspection?

Attached Files:

• Chat.jpg
      Chat.jpg
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
  6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks!

So the "EV" is from the scanner, not the car. I'll download the manual later today and see what this is supposed to be about. However, I suspect it stands from "EvaporatiVe system" and is part of the emissions control system. But to answer your question:
    • It will not pass.
    The Prius like all modern cars, has a charcoal canister that is supposed to trap gasoline fumes when you fill up. Then as you drive down the road and the engine is running, a valve opens up to draw off the gasoline fumes. It sounds as if one or more parts of that system are stuck or failed or otherwise detected by the car.

If you will check Google, "P1437 prius," you'll get a lot of useful posting about what folks found when that happened to their cars. Sad to say, there are often more than one potential cause so I can't guess what might have failed. But one thing for sure, it won't pass emissions inspection.

Bob Wilson

7. TomWA

TomWA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Is there an easy way to differentiate P1437 coming from the accelerator pedal or from a solenoid? What is more likely to happen?

8. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Both my Prius's passed readiness with the Evap monitor not ready. MA may be different. You cannot, however, have a code set in the PCM and expect anything but an automatic fail. Even if the cel is not illuminated.

Toyota Prius P1437 - Toyota Prius 2003 Repair - Toyota Service Blog

Readiness monitors won't cause anything to blink on the dash.

9. dabard051

dabard051 Tinkerer-in-Charge

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    More on P1437:
    I have had this code "Pending" for a few months and a few hundred miles on a 2003 Prius. Clear it; it comes back "Pending" but does not set the CEL/MIL (Check Engine Light/Malfunction Indicator Light). I recall that when the HCAC valve (that big monster on the exhaust pipe, just after the catalytic converter) is stuck (won't move at all), it sets the P1436 code. I recently had to deal with a persistent (would always immediately set the CEL) P1430 on a 2001 Prius which resulted from a really-hard-to-see broken ground wire directly at the VCV sensor (the Vacuum Check Valve sensor, just above the dipstick).
    I have inspected and lubed the HCAC valve on this 2003 Prius, so I know it moves freely and does not bind. All the vacuum hoses appear to be intact, but they ARE 14 years old. So I am now wondering if the wiring harness from the VCV to the Engine ECU has a damaged or corroded wire, possibly right at the sensor. The harness is vulnerable to severe bending when the dipstick is taken in and out. On my to-do list is to check all the voltages on the VCV sensor, and see if any are awry. That the code is "Pending" says to me that the car thinks the vacuum is operating, but the measured value is not right.
    Problem: If the sensor output voltage (on the purple wire) is not correct, that does not allow me to distinguish between (a) poor vacuum supply (b) problem with the wiring harness, or (c) (lowest probability) a problem with the sensor. This is the problem with "remote" or "automated" diagnostics; it can only point approximately to where the issue is, when ALL possible causes are laid out.
    I will admit to a certain bias towards suspecting the wiring harness because I DID just have that problem; wiring harness issues are usually a very low probability. Missing in the Toyota diagnostics is any direct measurement value of the expected vacuum pressure at the sensor, which I would expect to be the next immediate diagnostic step (split vacuum problem from electrical problem).
    If other folks wrestling with this fault code have experiences with the fault they actually found (vacuum hose, wiring harness, HCAC valve operation, or vacuum generation, or other) it would be helpful to hear your stories.

10. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah if you have readiness monitors that aren't cleared, the last thing you want to do is clear the OBD2. Essentially, doing that puts the readiness monitors back to 'not ready.' Here in AZ, the evap readiness monitor can not be ready and it will still clear emissions. So if that particular monitor isn't ready, take it to emissions and have it tested. Betting it will pass.

11. dabard051

dabard051 Tinkerer-in-Charge

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This vehicle has two faults, which are independent.

P1437 relates to the vacuum system used to activate the HCAC control valve, located on the exhaust pipe just past the catalytic converter. This one could be a damaged wire, dried out vacuum hose, or a sticky HCAC valve. I'm wrestling with one of these right now on a 2003 Prius.

The blinking "EV" indicates that the Evaporative Control Monitor for the pollution testing has not completed its test cycle. This test takes several drive cycles to complete, and can be frustrated by an ill-fitting gas cap or corrosion at the fuel fill neck, which prevents the gas cap from making a good seal. So give the gas cap and fuel fill port a good looking over.