1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Passing voice commands to phone via Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rz1, Oct 27, 2007.

1. rz1

rz1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Is it possible to active a voice command on your phone connected to Prius hands free system via Bluetooth (as opposed to voice commands issued to hands free itself)?

For example, if your phone accepts a command called "Call Home", is there away throu hands free to issue the same voice activated command?

2. brokerdelete

brokerdelete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rz1 @ Oct 27 2007, 12:32 PM) [snapback]531231[/snapback]</div>
    Yes I've been researching this with no luck. :blink: :blink: I have a 2004 with Nav. Nothing in the manual says one way or another. I wonder if getting the pick-lock kit to enable phone menu while in motion would help.

Meanwhile I'm physically picking up my cell in hand, pressing the voice dial button on the side, saying the name to dial, and the putting the phone back in the center console as the Prius takes over the call from there. ;)

3. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've heard the Bluetooth in the Toyotas is difficult to operate? I know one person who had the factory bluetooth and ended up installing a "Blueconnect" hands free system in the spot where you put your sunglasses and he tells me the units voice recognition is almost flawless. You can see it at www.jciblueconnect.com/

4. brokerdelete

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BuddyL @ Oct 30 2007, 09:24 PM) [snapback]532710[/snapback]</div>
    Not a problem worth throwing $249.00 bucks away on "curing". :rolleyes: The other end of my conversations are highly complementary regarding call quality and clarity, and I have no problems hearing the person on the other end from within the car.

You can find on Ebay an $89.00 version which provides a digital readout of the caller ID number etc., which blueconnect does not, that clips to existing rearveiw mirror. Although a lot less expensive, I don't see that a solution either.

It's a legitimate question to put out there, to ask what have others found, tricks or techniques, that works best with what we got.

BTW!!! I found the "override" trick to use GPS Nav while rolling... there is also a "tel voice" button, I'm afraid to test w/out knowing more about it... do share!

5. FlyFamily1

FlyFamily1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(07+04 Prius Owner @ Oct 30 2007, 11:28 PM) [snapback]532805[/snapback]</div>

Care to share?

6. brokerdelete

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fly Family @ Nov 1 2007, 12:01 AM) [snapback]533269[/snapback]</div>
    On my 2004 you press MENU then press SOUND and on the resultant screen there is a small picture of a speaker at the top left hand corner. Pretend there is a picture of something at the bottom left hand corner as well, where there is nothing.

Now, in rather quick sequence press the speaker at top left, the nothing at bottom left, the speaker at top left, the nothing at bottom left and voila' - you have the secret technician screen.

Next press AND HOLD the "Override" bar until it blinks to solid. Then press BACK found at the top right of the secret screen to exit out and your NAV features that usually only work when stopped are now functional while in motion.

WARNING - Messing with any of the other many options on the tech screen CAN cause grief! :blink: Research before trying anything beyond this "Override" trick.

I understand that it's more difficult for 2006 and newer. But there are ways to do it that I read on the Lexus forums where you rip a copy of your existing NAV DVD and burn a new slightly modified copy with the older "loader" version while retaining the newer map info.