1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Passion of the Christ - Your thoughts, feelings, etc

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Danny, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well, "The Passion of the Christ" is being released nationwide today, so I figured I'd start a conversation about the movie. I personally am looking forward to seeing it.

The basic reviews so far are ripping it for being too violent, not based on fact, anti-semetic, etc. But to do an accurate depiction of a crucifixion and to accurately show the violence of that time period under Roman Rule, to me extreme violence is needed. It's like showing a WWII movie and not showing it as Saving Private Ryan depicted it - as it really happened.

Not based on fact - well, it's hard to say what is and is not fact for something that happened 2,000 years ago, and a movie is a dramatic depiction of an event, it's not a documentary.

One critic was quoted as saying that no child should see this movie - well, duh! It's rated R! The purpose of an R movie is to exclude those audiences that otherwise cannot handle certain content and to give an adult the responsibility of deciding for their family whether or not those under 18 should see it.

2. satchm0

satchm0 New Member

It's funny how violence in a movie like this is so acceptable in our society. People are being encouraged by teachers, priests, etc., to go see this film.

But, a boob falls out during the Super Bowl half-time show and the entire country goes crazy. That baffles me.

I don't have kids. But if I did, I would find it much easier to explain that "it's just a boob, no big deal"; than to have to answer the questions: "why are they hurting that man, daddy?" What is all that red stuff all over his body?" Is he going to die, daddy?"

Oops, sorry for the thread creep, Danny.

I am curious to hear if this is actually a good "movie". I know the subject matter. And I understand the controversy. But, is it actually a good "movie"?

3. jeffrey

jeffrey New Member

A good friend saw it last night in a preview her church sponsored. She promised me a review in detail when I see her Friday, but from what I've read, I think the answer to Satchm0's question, for me anyway, is probably not.

Of course that would be predicated on my feeling that the whole premise is somewhat absurd, although vaguely interesting.

Just my opinion, no offense intended.

Peace:)

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a feeling that those who go to the theater expecting to see an acting out of the Bible will be disappointed, while those that go to see a "dramatic movie" will enjoy it. Now, I haven't seen it yet, but that's just my hypothesis.

When people know too much about a movie they tend to have misconceptions going in that alter their reaction to the film. I know that was what happened with a lot of people that didn't like Lost in Translation - they were expecting whatever they think an Oscar-worthy movie is, and instead they got an incredibly simple, single-storyline movie. And that simplicity is what made LiT so great.

5. chgoman

chgoman New Member

I haven't seen it yet, but from what I've heard it is actually very accurate to the Biblical record of the events.

One of my favorite comments so far about it was from Bill O'Reilly. His comment about many people saying that it is too violent was 'have these people ever read that part of the bible?'. The way I see it is that if it was done true to the events of the bible, you would not be able to do it without it being violent and keep true to the story.

6. twindad

twindad New Member

I saw it last night. Here's my thoughts & feelings:
    The portrayal of satan was a bit too hollywood, kind of a goth vampire look.
    The violence was harsh, but by historical accounts of the roman era, it's probably an accurate portrayal of the brutaility Jesus endured. It has a stronger impact since you know this happened to a real person, not a made up character.
    The Jewish priests were portrayed as the bad guys. Will it make me hate Jews? No. I saw them as those in power who saw their power threatened. They removed the threat. Not much different than how the world works nowadays.
    Fun observation: When the credits roll, notice that just about everybody in the cast & crew has an O in their name.
    Did it change my life? No. YMMV
    My prognostication: Many will see this film. Many will discuss this film. But, I think gay marriage & Janet Jackson's breast will be bigger topics of discussion. I don't mean that to sound cynical, it's just I don't think the movie will have the impact some have predicted it will have.

7. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I thought it was a great movie, for what it was....

8. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I thought it was an amazingly violent but accurate portrayal of the last 12 hours of Christ’s life. I would have preferred more emphasis on His resurrection but that may have overshadowed the suffering Jesus went through. Which I believe was Mel’s intent.
    One part I especially like was when Jesus was making a rather plain but modern, for those times, dining table which you sat at with chairs. He tried to explain his intent and design to His mother but she simply turned away and in a typical Jewish motherly way exclaimed “it’ll never work!â€
    I heard some weeping in the audience and there was a Marian emphasis which is to be expected as Mel Gibson is Catholic. I must admit that I was getting a little anxious for the end of the scouring scene and there was a knot in my throat almost the entire time. There was some murmuring but mostly a profound silence as the audience left the theatre. Certainly the quietist I have ever heard upon leaving a movie.

Wildkow

p.s. There were some great opportunities to witness and evangelize after the movie was released.

9. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  10. Loveit

Loveit New Member

It doesn't surprise me in the least that Mel went to the very extreme end of filiming "The Passion of the Christ."

All most all of his other movies were just as bloody. Especially Braveheart.

I saw almost all of Braveheart except for the very end. To this day, I still don't know how it ends and really don't want to know either. If you want to tell me that's okay, but I won't see it!

Anyway, the ghostly form is the devil, not the Jew.

The movie is very accurate in the biblical sense.

The thing that got me was Judas and how he went off his rocker. That was a VERY interesting take on him.

There was so much blood in this movie, it was incredible.

The other thing was seeing his mother, Mary get on her hands and knees and mop up her son's blood. Wonder where he got that idea from? Did they even do such a thing back then? I don't think so.

I just believe it was to get our focus on the shed blood and what it means to those who take Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

11. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'll have to admit, that was a good movie. I was even brought to tears when Jesus faltered many times to get to his feet while having to carry that massive cross. Beware though, I also cried watching "Marley and Me" when the dog died.

Anyways, I'm not a religious historian, so comment if you're able to. Do Christians believe that this was an accurate depiction of how the Jews were responsible for Jesus's torturous death or can they tell this was mostly an anti-semetic narrative by Mel Gibson?

12. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I thought the Mel Gibson flick was accurate to the books... which aren't history books.

I know the flick was tremendously profitable... mostly because of the targeted audience, that swallowed it hook, line, and sinker.

And now that Mel is going to lose half of his $900 million to the soon to be ex-wife... the sequel WILL be made to replenish the personal fortune.

Kinda like this thread resurrecting...

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :cheer2:LOL!

14. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The second coming.

Tom

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I like science fiction, it was a good movie

16. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So was Planet of the Apes...

17. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Which also had a second coming, and third, and fourth.

Tom

18. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Me? I'd rather watch Zeitgeist again.

19. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That was a good flick, but the WTC 7 conspiracy was a leap.