1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pat Robertson Converts on 'Global Warming'

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by wstander, Aug 3, 2006.

1. wstander

wstander New Member

Thursday, Aug. 3, 2006 8:46 p.m. EDT
    Pat Robertson Converts on 'Global Warming'

Conservative Christian broadcaster Pat Robertson said on Thursday the wave of scorching temperatures across the United States has converted him into a believer in global warming.

"We really need to address the burning of fossil fuels," Robertson said on his "700 Club" broadcast. "It is getting hotter, and the icecaps are melting and there is a buildup of carbon dioxide in the air."

This week the heat index, the perceived temperature based on both air temperatures and humidity, reached 115 Fahrenheit in some regions of the U.S. East Coast. The 76-year-old Robertson told viewers that was "the most convincing evidence I've seen on global warming in a long time."

Last year, Robertson said natural disasters affecting the globe, including hurricanes Katrina and Rita that wrecked the U.S. Gulf Coast, might be signs that the biblical apocalypse was nearing.

Signers of that statement included California mega-church pastor Rick Warren, author of the bestselling "The Purpose Driven Life."

In the late 1990s, Robertson paid at least $300,000 to investigate the revival of an oil refinery east of Los Angeles. The bid was unsuccessful.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2006/8/...4904.shtml?s=ic

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

2. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wstander @ Aug 3 2006, 09:00 PM) [snapback]297448[/snapback]</div>
    speechless.

3. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Putting the names "Rick Warren" and "Pat Robertson" together in the same news story is a little bit like putting "Albert Einstein" and "Elmer Fudd" in the same story.

IMHO, Robertson is a loon who got hot in the sun so he thinks the entire world is getting hotter. This winter he could change his mind completely.

Rick Warren is an intelligent, rational guy who has probably looked at the controversy and evaluated the findings, and is joining other sane, rational and logical people in agreeing that its an issue that needs to be removed from the political sphere and analyzed within the scientific sphere.

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Who cares what that blowhard thinks?

One has to wonder if Global Warming is a sign off the Apocalypse, why Roberts thinks we should do something about Global Warming. Wouldn't that delay the Apocalypse? I'd think someone like Roberts would be looking forward to the end of the world, not trying to put it off. Of course, if I were Roberts and I knew what I'd be answering for when my name was called up yonder....I'd be trying to put it off as long as possible too.

5. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Aug 3 2006, 09:03 PM) [snapback]297495[/snapback]</div>
    :( http://www.talk2action.org/story/2006/5/29/195855/959

6. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Now I'm starting to doubt global warming :lol:.

(j/k, of course)

7. EricGo

EricGo New Member

How disappointing. Couldn't we at least have a revelation ?

8. Mirza

Mirza New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Aug 4 2006, 10:53 AM) [snapback]297657[/snapback]</div>

LOL! Whodunnit this time?!

9. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  10. jtullos

jtullos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 3 2006, 09:09 PM) [snapback]297499[/snapback]</div>
    Too many people unfortunately. Hopefully though his acceptance will get his followers to believe in global warming.

11. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

12. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    House Majority Whip Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) said he would oppose global warming mandates if Republicans control the 110th Congress. “I think the information is not adequate yet for us to do anything meaningful"

PLUS

Conservative Christian broadcaster Pat Robertson said on Thursday the wave of scorching temperatures across the United States has converted him into a believer in global warming.

EQUALS

two dumb comments that pretty much cancel each other out.

13. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Actually, I'm going to defend Pat on this one... his reasoning for supporting global warming is not sound... but if you look at the details he's actually not all that off.

Hot Summer Nights Getting Hotter
    This is the most important link!
    http://www.livescience.com/environment/ap_...hot_nights.html

Dairies seeing red after hot spell
    Losses adding up after last week's record-breaking heat wave in stat
    http://www.mercedsunstar.com/local/story/1...-13251098c.html

Increased Use of Air Conditioners to Produce More Greenhouse Gas
    http://www.livescience.com/environment/060...ac_warming.html

July Heat Wave Could Set National Record
    http://www.livescience.com/environment/060801_july_heat.html

It would not be so suspicious if it were just a regional thing... but it's quite widespread... IE in Europe and other places as well.

14. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Color me crazy, but I see this as something good.
    I don't care who it is, I don't care what convinced them, and I don't care about their religious and political affiliation. If one person can pursuade millions of people to take action in favor of something I believe in, then I'm all for it. If Pat can convince people to buy smaller cars, then good for him! If his followers adjust their thermostats to reasonable levels, then good for them! If they think it'll get them closer to God, then whatever!

The point is, I turn off light bulbs and conserve water because I believe that my actions have direct environmental impact; my neighbor takes the same actions because he wants to save money. Who cares why we do it, we're both doing the same thing. I for one am not going to waste my time telling him that he's doing all the right things for all the wrong reasons as long as he's happy doing it. Nor am I going to disagree with Pat or make fun of him based solely on the fact that I disagree with him on many other topics.

Now Roy Blunt should be forced to live in a landfill on a diet of contaminated fish until he has uncurable mercury poisoning. But that's another thread.

15. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Aug 4 2006, 10:36 AM) [snapback]297715[/snapback]</div>
    This will hopefully be the driving force behind people starting to pull their heads out of the sand. A little personal pain is a great motivator. Like one of my drill sergeants used to say (and I really do agree with him) "the fastest way to the mind is through the body".

16. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 4 2006, 09:54 AM) [snapback]297724[/snapback]</div>

Heh, heh, heh....

Just had this mental picture of Roy Blunt as a thermometer :) :p

17. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Increased awareness of the issue is a good thing. I'm just not sure that Pat Robertson's endorsement lends credibility to any cause.

18. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 4 2006, 09:54 AM) [snapback]297724[/snapback]</div>
    Evidence points to mercury impacting the brain - how would you tell it had an impact in this case?

:blink:

19. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Aug 3 2006, 10:40 PM) [snapback]297527[/snapback]</div> Oh please ... can't you recognize "guilt by association" when you see it? This looks like a hit piece to me. To quote from the breathlessly written article:

"You are playing a real-time strategy video game whose creators are linked to the empire of mega-church pastor Rick Warren, best selling author of The Purpose Driven Life."

Really? How are these video game creators "linked" to Rick Warren? An Evangelical mind-meld? Are they Christians who have attended his church? Or, have they read his book (a NY Times best seller) and complimented him on it? Or, in the narrow minded bigotry of the article's author, do all Conservative Christians "look alike"? In the absence of any hint of explanation, the word "linked" means nothing.

Conservative Christians have been among the most vocal critics of violent video games (a concern I think is misplaced, but its there), with groups recommended economic boycotts, warnings from parenting groups like Focus on the Family, etc.

20. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So, did he say something along the lines of, “the earth burneth with fire and brimstone, and the unbelievers shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.†:lol: