1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pause button on 2006 CD player

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by santoro1, Nov 14, 2006.

1. santoro1

santoro1 New Member

I have been searching the owners manual to figure out how to pause a cd.. While I haven't "studied" the book, I don't seem to find anything about it and certainly don't see anything on the unit. I have the standard cd player not the cd changer. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Also, any further tips to fascillitate its use would be helpful as well. thanks.

2. deramirez

deramirez New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The only way I have found to pause a CD is to just hit the power button. When you turn it back on, play will resume where it left off. I had to use the same method in my original '02 Prius also. Seems odd, but it works!
    Dan

3. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ugh, this is a rather disappointment on the stock stereo. Pause = Power button.

4. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This is very lame of Toyota not to include a pause button for the unit. What are we back in the 90's?

5. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You press the power button on the radio and the music stops instantly.

You press the power button again and the music starts almost instantly.

What's wrong with that?

6. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What is wrong with that is there is no button for mute on the steering wheel, where I need it. :)

7. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Jan 7 2007, 01:04 AM) [snapback]371986[/snapback]</div>
    As you may know you get that feature if you purchase 'premium' stereo, which is certainly not worth the money due to poor sound and terrible AM reception (at least on my '04). Having to use the power button saved you thousands in money and hours of aggravation. Consider it a good thing.

8. rondot

rondot New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Jan 7 2007, 03:04 AM) [snapback]371986[/snapback]</div>
    If you press and hold the mode button on the steering wheel, that should power off/on the sound system.

9. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Jan 7 2007, 12:04 AM) [snapback]371986[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, but then that's a different problem.

10. dustyprius

dustyprius New member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    While the workarounds for the missing pause/play buttons seems to work for some, it is a disappointment that these were left off. Having just retired from an over 30 year career making products usable, I am quite sure that the engineer who designed the stereo has not taken the time to observe humans actually using one, or of considering all the use cases.

The problem with it not being there is illustrated by the fact that others, and now I, have come here to try to find out how to pause a cd. There actually is a reason that nearly all cd players have a pause and play button. Users expect them.

I will be trying out the solutions suggested here. But these buttons should never, ever have been left off. It is, sadly, poor design in a car that for me is otherwise the most delightful car I have ever owned (btw, I have a 2008 Prius).

11. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Like rondot said, holding the "Mode" button on the steering wheel (can be felt with a dot so you don't even have to take your eyes off the road) has the same function as the "Power" button, it turns the audio system on/off. I use it all the time at the drive-through when they are taking my order.

12. tedmarshall

tedmarshall New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Actually, I've never seen a OEM car CD deck that included a pause button. Admittedly, my experience is limited to my 2007 Prius, my previous car, a 2003 Mazda 6, and my wife's 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe, but this doesn't seem to me a feature that gets in.

After-market decks might be a different story and, of course, home decks always have pause buttons.

13. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i think switching from cd to am or fm or sat would also pause the cd....

i think, i have kept my cd "paused" at the same mp3 file for months

maybe 2006 is different, who knows

i just turned the car on, selected cd, and it was at the exact same spot i left it, weeks ago, heh

14. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    wow even after 44,000 miles in my prius I'm still learning new things on it. incredible. thanks for the tip!

15. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If your player has an Aux button, it also can serve as a Pause.

I have 2 MP3 players that don't have a Stop button. Now THAT's weird...