1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pay attention!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Alnilam, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    At a local station I was filling up and the phone rang (Bluetooth.) My wife wasn't totally checked out on the system and waved to me to hit the right button to get the call. I stopped pumping, got the call for her, and went back to the pump to resume. I was distracted but when the total approached 10 gals it occurred to me that I wasn't empty and this was way too much gas. I stopped, pulled the nozzle out and a little geyser of gas popped out of the Prius. It seems that when I resumed, I didn't make a tight enough seal and the pump was just returning the fuel to the station's main tank. Think I hurt anything: the bladder??? Seems like a real profit maker for the station.

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Jul 23 2006, 01:39 PM) [snapback]291082[/snapback]</div>
    How fast were you pumping the gas?

If you do it too fast, the bladder acts like a balloon and spit out gasoline as soon as the pump pressure is relieved. The trick is to use the slowest pump setting and not to top off too much. With time and temperatures the usable volume of the gas tank increases. On triple digit days, I have been able to pump over eleven gallons without having the tank burp any excess fuel at me.