1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Paying for Prius with a credit card

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by maggieddd, Jul 26, 2005.

1. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

When I tried to put some of the balance on my credit card my dealer said that he can only accept $1000. SO I am not sure if it is just him or they all do it. Well, it's kind of too late for me at this point for that anyway, since I've been driving my Prius for over a week now.
    But is it possible to pay a part of the loan with a credit card? I've got 0% on my credit card, so I was wondering if I could pay off some of my loan with it, anyone know? Or even what about those checks that the credit card company sends, they have like 2.9% or so, is it possible to pay off some of the loan with that? Anybody?

2. JeffHart

JeffHart New Member

The dealer I purchased mine at wouldn't accept full payment. The salesperson told me I could put $3,500 on AmEx, finance guy told me the normal limit was $2,000 and let me put on $2,500.

Would have loved to get 26K AmEx points :D

Cheers,
    Jeff

3. mark_hamrick

mark_hamrick New Member

Be careful with those checks. Some carry a fee of 3% of the amount you write it for...

4. prius04

prius04 New Member

Credit card companies charge a fee from the seller for each purchase.

I think it's only about 2% so on a $26000 purchase, the dealer would be charged $520.

Now, if they were making a good profit on a car, and the buyer refused to pay any other way, the dealer might go along and consider the $500 as the cost of doing business.

But on the Prius, why would they do that? They can say no to you and just turn around & sell it to someone else tomorrow.

And some cards have fees that are higher than that. Discover card has a higher fee, and this is why less places take that card.

And for those special checks that go with a credit card, read the fine print. Often there is no grace period, and fees at the outset apart from the interest rate.

5. vande23

vande23 New Member

I was also told $1K as a max - they used that as my deposit to hold the car when it was already on the truck on its way. Then, when I tried to pay the balance on a card(s) - they said "the lein holder can not be a credit card" - which may be true I guess, who knows... but yeah I am sure they do not want to have to pay the service fees to the credit card companies.

6. prius23

prius23 New Member

I bought my black Prius three weeks ago in El Monte, Ca. at Longo Toyota, one of the largest Toyota dealers around. They would only accept $500 charge to credit card for purchase. Too bad they wouldn't accept more....

7. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

My dealer would let me put a max of $3K on a credit card.

8. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

How about paying a loan (or part of it) with a credt card?

9. JeffHart

JeffHart New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mark_hamrick\";p=\"110537)</div>
    No AmEx check, would've paid off when the bill showed up. It was a cash deal.

Cheers,
    Jeff

10. Sean & Ian

Sean & Ian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Rockingham Toyota in Salem, NH, let me put up to $2K on my credit card :cry:

11. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

How about paying a loan (or part of it) with a credt card?
    anybody know how that would work?

12. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Paying your loan depends entirely on whether your lender allows that. Mine would not, and would also charge for direct debit from my bank account (that always seems stupid to me since it ought to be cheaper for them to process it electronically).

13. catsbox

catsbox Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    With the MSRP markup and extras, I ended up over budget. So, I paid $3000 with credit card checks (I used two, split the total between the two). No questions asked. I put the pre-paid maintenance and extended warranty on a credit card, no problem.

14. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

How would this scenario work?

You go to ATM machine take some cash out. Deposit it to your checking account, pay a loan with it.
    In the mean time, do a balance transfer from that card to another which offers 0% APR balance transfer.
    Would that work?

15. dreichla

dreichla New Member

As<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maggieddd\";p=\"110681)</div>
    As long as you transfer the entire balance (including the cash advance) over to the new card. Since the cash advance is the last item to go on your card, it's the last to be paid.

16. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

so just wait till cash advance shows up on your card and transfer the entire balance.

So that would work huh?

17. dreichla

dreichla New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maggieddd\";p=\"110691)</div>
    I would say so - as long as your other card has a credit line large enough to cover your other card's balance.

And watch out if you are late on a couple of payments, they'll wack your card up to the max rate.

Speaking of max rates, credit card companies can increase your finance charge rate at any time - even if you make your payments on time! They can raise your rates based upon whether they THINK you might be a poor credit risk or MIGHT miss a payment. They can check your utility payments, phone, - pretty much anything which gives you a payment history.

I could see a scenario of maxing out a credit card to buy a car only to have the company max out your rate at 20+%. That would really suck if you didn't have a backup plan. If you didn't, you'd have one expensive Prius.

18. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

well, I have never been late with my payments, I always pay my balances in full, so I have never paid finance charges and I have no debt other than my Prius right now. No school loans to pay off as I never paid anyting for college (just lucky I guess). I got 4.20% APR at my Credit Union for 5yr., I think I am fine. But if I was to do what I said about balance transfer (not the whole amount, just enough that I can pay it off in 1 year, as the 0% APR on balance transfer is for 1 year), I should be OK, I would think. What do you think?

19. dreichla

dreichla New Member

It sounds like a good way to save on the finance charges. If any credit card company monkey business ever does happen, it sounds like you can fall back on your credit union at a pretty decent rate.

Good luck!

20. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can definitely pay a loan with your credit card if you know what you're doing. I have a number of credit cards with a zero balance. They always have balance transfer offers. All you have to do is use those offers to pay the bank where the loan originates from. Those balance transfers only last a year or less. At the end of the 0% interest period, merely rotate the balance to another credit card company that is offering 0%. I do this ALL the time and my home equity line of credit is lower because of it. Right now I am rotating 20,000 in interest free money on my home improvement.