1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PayPal - Ugh!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Fredatgolf, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Fredatgolf

Fredatgolf New Member

When I purchased tan arm covers from Robin on EBay, I had heard several times about purchasers being charged twice through PayPal. Therefore, I was extremely careful to do nothing twice. Now PayPal insists that I did do something twice and further insists that I would have to go through Robin to get a credit. Shortly after the purchase (May 27), I received an e-mail from PayPal asking for authorization to charge. Since I had already received an e-mail receipt from Robin, I e-mailed her. She wrote back that she was having trouble with PayPal but would straighten it out, not to worry, I would not be double charged. I promptly deleted PayPal's e-mail. Since I have heard other war stories about PayPal, I wanted to alert this group. Personally, if the only way to order something is through PayPal, I will choose to do without.

If there is anything out there, I would hope you would post it here. If not, this may just be another Communist conspiracy against me and my friends, all of whom have a shady background anyway. :wink:

By the way, American Express simply eliminated the charge.

2. GreenLady

GreenLady Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ugh. My feelings about Paypal are ambivalent at best, and downright suspicious at worst. I do have a Paypal account, but it it associated with a checking account that currently has $60 in it and is at an entirely different bank than my other accounts.

I have heard nightmare stories about chargebacks etc. with Paypal. I will only use Paypal with a credit card since the cc companies are more willing to believe you are telling the truth than Paypal.

From what I understand, Paypal falls under some sort of legal loophole in that they are not a financial institution, but they can have full access to your bank account. Makes me extremely uncomfortable. I see Paypal as a necessary evil in doing business with ebay. You can send checks and money orders, if the seller accepts them, but Paypal is less hassle (when it works correctly).

Just my 2 cents.

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Google is rumored to be coming out with a PayPal-killer in the next few months. I guess we'll see how that goes... I continue to have problems with their system communicating orders back to the PriusChat Shop.

4. Fredatgolf

Fredatgolf New Member

Why can't we post something on a larger scale? I mean, does anyone know how PayPal got started? What niche they fill? What are their motivations? Are they just a way to make E-Bay more difficult/easy? I don't see any reason for them to be. Everybody has credit cards, or do they? Do they have an additional charge to the merchant over and above what the credit card companies charge when they are both involved?

When I talked to the guy at PayPal he knew it was on American Express because he referenced the fact as we talked. Yet he didn't suggest I do what I did, call AE and cancel the charge. I guess in my limited view of life, I just see PayPal as a pile of s..t in the path of progress instead of a legitimate piece of the puzzle.

5. Fredatgolf

Fredatgolf New Member

I found this on Google:
    "PayPal is the most widely used service of its kind. However, a number of users have had frustrating situations with PayPal authorities. A controversial aspect of PayPal is that they have a policy and history of closing accounts and withholding funds for reasons that they will not disclose. Another controversial aspect is that PayPal is not subject to normal banking regulations, which means that users do not have many of the legal safeguards they would with conventional banks."
    Also, there have been complaints about complaint resolution which I guess is my main beef. Since they are not subject to normal banking laws, there are bound to be problems.

I also found out that their business story is an amazing business example. But the real question to me is are they mucking up customers more than they should?

6. Fredatgolf

Fredatgolf New Member

Okay, my final post on this. I didn't get the answers I wanted here so I have continued to Google this. My final conclusion is that PayPal came about to fill very legitimate business needs, and was founded by some really forward thinking guys, but the fact that they are not regulated by banking laws has resulted in their not being a net benefit for the consumer on a number of occasions.

7. Hybrid_Dave

Hybrid_Dave New Member

My name is Dave, and I'm a recovering PayPal abuse victim. I've been clean of Paypal for over a year now, and I'm just taking things one day at a time, and one credit card or debit card at a time.

If you send them an email, and you hold your breath for any response, you will most certainly die due to lack of oxygen.

Run, run away as fast as you can, get your money out of the PayPal system, then just leave it at zero and never use it again.

.02 deposited

Dave.

8. Hybrid_Dave

Hybrid_Dave New Member

9. catsbox

catsbox Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I too am a victim of Pay Pal. My checking account was fraudulently accessed to the tune of over $1400.00 by someone in the Philippines buying a computer. It took about 6 months to get everything straightened out, including having to get a new checking account and re-establish my on-line banking. This was about three years ago and I have yet to receive any sort of explanation from Pay Pal. I joined the class action suit going against Pay Pal. I refuse to patronize any merchant who accepts only Pay Pal payments. Stay away from Pay Pal!!

10. Fredatgolf

Fredatgolf New Member

Mucho thanks to Hybrid_Dave. What a web site. Anyone checking it out, if you want to really see something include in your visit to the site the video from CBS.

I guess I softened too quickly. When the lady on the video, who had used EBay to sell her art work, finally had her account unfrozen, $1400 was gone and PayPal will give her no explanation. In spite of the mass of info implying that PayPal may be crooked, I still don't believe they were, especially after being bought out by EBay. I believe they are just a BAD idea.