1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PC Member interest in joining Holiday Toy Drive?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Danny, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Scion Life is organizing another Holiday Toy Drive this year and we've been invited to participate! I wanted to guage the interest of the group to find out if you guys would like to do this and if anyone would like to take the lead on coordinating the Toy Drive.

Basically we would accept donations and for each $1 that you donate, we'll be able to buy one Matchbox/Hotwheel car. Here are the actual rules:

2005 RULES
    1. Each website will administer their own toy drive and report their running grand total daily (or as often as possible) to [email protected].
    2. "Points" are determined by the amount of toy cars that will be donated at the end of the contest. We are using increments of $1.00 or one individually-packaged Matchbox/Hotwheel car to equal one point. If you have five cars and three dollars at the end of day one then you would report eight points. Don't forget to buy toys with the money before the end of the contest!
    3. Although all toys are welcome for donation, for the purpose of equality only Matchbox or Hotwheel brand toy cars in individual packages will earn onepoint. Multipacks of Hotwheels or Matchbox cars will be worth HALF the number of cars in the package. Off-brand toys will not be counted in this contest. (In the past we had people buy 50-packs of very cheaply made toys to get ahead)
    4. The contest begins on Monday, November 28th, 2005 and ends on Friday, December 16th, 2005. The last tally by 11:59PM PST is your FINAL score.
    5. A photo of all toys contributed at the contribution facility or loaded to be delivered needs to be emailed to [email protected] by each website by Monday, December 19th! If a photo is not sent in by that time the website is disqualified from the contest. (You can't wait to donate until the evening of the 24th or the kids won't get their gifts!)

Here is an article about last year's Toy Drive:

http://www.scionlife.com/features/f_050101/

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm in. I do toys for tots every year anyway a little extra will not hurt!

3. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    so do Matchbox and Hotwheels make mini prii? If so what model and in what colors? Do the doors open? :p

Sounds like a cool idea for a good cause. So do we mail the cars to you Danny? You don't just have a toy car fetish do you? :lol:

4. Schmika

Schmika New Member

This will sound "scrooge-ish, but toy drives are overdone. Kids in our area get toys from 7 or 8 different organizations. Everyone donates around Christmas then feel good about themselves all year. I greatly support FOOD and CLOTHING drives- YEAR ROUND.

Food pantries NEED help desparately. The only time I buy toys is if I do a local "Adopt-a-Family" program.

Think about it.

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well said hopefully people will lend support to Food and clothing drives as well. Toys do not hurt if you provide the other needs as well. A simile on the face of a kid with a full belly and warm clothing that do not make him or her different from the rest of the kids. We are a great enough society to do this.

6. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, if the toy's are gonna do that then I withdraw. :p

We do both. In fact I'm taking food to my daughter's preschool tomorrow.

7. tag

tag Senior Member

Sounds like a great idea. I'll contribute to the cause, if nothing else.

I'd like to know how it works, exactly. I understand that the websites get one point for each dollar OR car contributed but what about the "contribution facility"? Where is that located? I suppose someone would have to be responsible for both buying the cars with any money contributed and delivering them to the facility.

What about monetary donations? We get a point for every dollar or car but don't those individually boxed matchbox and hotwheels cars cost more than a dollar? Thus, would it be a better for those who want to participate to go out and buy as many cars as they desire to contribute or would cash donations simplify matters?

Anyone? Buehler?