1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PC Processors: Dual vs. Quad-Core Processors, & MS Excel Performance

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Patrick Wong, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Situation:

My work-issued laptop is a Dell Latitude D410 with the Intel Pentium M CPU at 1.73 GHz, and 2 GB of main memory (which is the most that can be installed), running Windows XP Professional SP3. MS Office 2007 is loaded on the hard disk. I use Excel spreadsheets extensively for my work, and may have as many as 50+ spreadsheets open at one time. Most of the spreadsheets are ~700 KB in size, and two are ~3-4 MB in size.

The reason that I need multiple spreadsheets to be open is that they are linked together. A source spreadsheet feeds intermediate spreadsheets. Those intermediate spreadsheets feed a consolidating spreadsheet. The source and consolidating spreadsheets feed an output spreadsheet. When I make a change to one spreadsheet I want to be able to immediately see the impact on the others. As you might expect, the laptop bogs down with so many spreadsheets being open.

I am supposed to be receiving a new office laptop, sometime in the near to medium term. In the meantime, I've been using one of my home PCs for Excel multiple spreadsheet work: Dell Dimension 4700, 3.6 GHz Pentium 4, 4 GB of main memory (although only 3 GB is accessible), running Windows XP Home SP3 and MS Office 2007.

I was thinking about buying a new home PC, as the Dell small / medium office website has very attractive pricing. See for example this configuration, $599 for a quad core desktop PC with Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400, 4 GB of memory and 500 GB 7,200 rpm hard disk, on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.
    Vostro 230 Mini Tower Desktop | Dell~~

I came across this review that seems to indicate improved Excel performance with a quad core CPU.
    Multi-Core Confrontation: Core 2 Quad Q6600 vs. Core 2 Duo E6850 (page 11) - X-bit labs

Questions:

1. Can I expect improved Excel performance when replacing my Pentium 4 home computer with a quad core system like the Dell config that I cited?

2. Do you agree with the review that claims Excel performance will be improved when moving from a dual to quad core CPU?

3. I'm interested in eventually upgrading to MS Office 2010 for my home computer because I expect my company will at some point make that move. It appears that the 64 bit version is to be desired because that allows use of larger main memory. Do you agree?

I appreciate your thoughts and recommendations!

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't profess to be a computer expert, but it seems to me maximising the ram instead of the processor might be the better way to go. (Yes, the work machine is already maxed out at two, and I'd suggest that's the weak link right there.)

Would it work for you to put more of your data on different pages within the same spreadsheet? The links would be much faster that way.

edit: How can you stand to do numbers work on a computer without a number pad? That's the biggest reason I don't use a laptop. I'd feel like my right hand was missing.

1 person likes this.
  3. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for your reply. My home computer works pretty well, this is why I was unsure whether I'd see much of a performance improvement with a new computer. If the Vostro 230 in the config I cited above can't be upgraded to more than 4 GB of main memory, maybe I won't see that much improvement.

As an alternative to buying a new home computer, I'm wondering whether I should get a new graphics card supporting DirectX 9, for my Pentium 4 PC to make it comply with Windows 7 hardware requirements, then load the Windows 7 32 bit version. The current graphics card was the only deficiency identified by the Windows 7 advisor. With the new OS, would that increase the amount of the 4 GB main memory available for use as compared to Windows XP?

The spreadsheet architecture was designed by a corporate group and has sacred cow status, hence I can't effect change there. Nevertheless each workbook file already has 10 or more spreadsheet tabs within.

One thing nice about my work laptop is that it is very light, around 3 lbs, since it has a 12" screen. That makes the laptop pleasant as an air travel companion.

Although I've held financial mgmt positions most of my professional career I never learned to use a 10-key calculator by touch. I don't mind entering numbers on the row of keys above the letter keys, if the keyboard doesn't have a numeric pad. But I do have a docking station for the laptop along with an external monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse to make that machine easier to use when I'm not traveling.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It strikes me as Ominous that the Vostro does not even have options for more than 4 GB.

Here is a Quad Core slimline HP than can go to 8 GB in the future
    HP Official Store — Buy an HP Pavilion Slimline s5380 and s5380t series desktop PC from HP

I own a Dell D400, it is a lightweight travel laptop, ideal for a car or plane. When my wife's workplace switched to Windows 7, it could not upgrade, so I got her a dm3t series laptop with

Processor and Graphics Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor SP9300 (2.26GHz, 6M Cache) with 512MB NVIDIA GeForce G 105M
    Memory 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    Display13.3" diagonal High-Definition LED HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1366 x 768)
    External optical driveExternal Tray LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD+/-RW w/Double Layer

for her travel needs (it had no built in CD for light weight, yet had a 'real' graphics card for AutoCAD)

I would be tempted to Upgrade the video card In the 4700 rather than buy a Vostro maxed out on 'only' 4 GB RAM.

Newegg.com - ASUS EN8400GS Silent/P/512M GeForce 8400 GS 512MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
    Is $33, even less if you ever get the $13 rebate. Free Shipping and quiet!

I suspect you will still only see 3 gb in windows 7 in the 4700, but $33 may worth trying.

Amazon has Windows 7 for $106http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B002DHLUWK?tag=priuschatcom-20 can only upgrade XP home to 7 Home and XP pro to 7 pro, so be careful!

So it is really a $140 experiment and I think you wind up reformatting your drive, so make backups!

One reason a Quad Core may be faster in Excel than a Dual Core is larger cache, often twice as large, as in the test you linked. Excel tends to take lots of memory for the cells and a large cache can retrieve more cells before slowing to main memory speeds. (in your linked test CPUs were 2.5 to 3 Ghz, RAM was 0.45 Ghz (450 Mhz) so staying in cache may be 6 times faster than going to main memory)

1 person likes this.
  5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're welcome. I'm happy to share what I know, though of course the old adage of being ever-more aware of how much I don't know always applies. :)

In that case, the more ram, the better. I doubt four gig would be anywhere near enough. Fifty ten-page spreadsheets would slow just about any plain-Jane computer down.

I haven't had good experiences with upgrades. First you need this, then you need that, and then this program isn't compatible, and by the time everything works again, I've spent so much time and money I'd have been better off just buying a new machine. Saves on the grey hair, too. ;)

And we seem to have different philosophies on travelling. I don't travel much (even to work - I sit here and it comes to me) but when I do, it's to get away from all the electronica, not take it with me. :p

1 person likes this.
  6. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Vista to Windows 7 went very well, (Home to Home and Pro to Pro, Home to Pro requires a reformat) I have not tried XP to 7, but I suspect it is much worse.

Historically, it has never been pleasant to upgrade Windows.

1 person likes this.
  7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Jimbo,

Great find on the HP computer, same price but more main memory and hard disk!

I had a Dell Latitude D400 at my prior employer and bought that laptop when I left the company. The original hard disk had been just replaced with a higher capacity model. My daughter has been using it over the past two years at college, its been working great for her.

I can totally relate to that observation.

So far then, the choice is between $140 to upgrade the OS and graphics card with the potential for some grief and additional hardware required down the road, or $600 for a new PC.

Has anyone had a chance to study the upcoming Microsoft Office 2010 with 32 bit vs. 64 bit versions, and decide what incremental value the latter offers?

Thanks!

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Patrick, we are running 64 bit Vista Ultimate with similar demanding Excel and Access files, and with 4-8 GB of installed RAM and an AMD Phenom X4 9550 processor, also compliant but not extravagant nVidia graphics

Keep in mind that a 32 bit version of XP Pro and Vista are limited to 3,328 MB of addressable RAM, even if you have 4,096 MB (Or 4 GB) installed.

Processor speed, memory speed, make a huge difference, not just installed base RAM. This primer on memory for Microsoft platforms does explain some of the limits

Memory Limits for Windows Releases (Windows)

Hope this helps

There is another important caveat

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb613473(v=VS.85).aspx

to 32 bit Windows that I forgot to mention

1 person likes this.
  9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, Jay. I saw that webpage earlier but was not sure what it meant.

Would it be reasonable to assume that the config suggested by Jimbo, which has the quad core CPU, 64 bit OS, plus 6 GB of memory, will offer superior performance over my current PC when dealing with many large spreadsheets at once, after I install the 64 bit version of Microsoft Office 2010?

Since you mentioned graphics cards, HP offers a choice between ATI Radeon at a lower price, and NVIDIA GEForce at a slightly higher price, for what seems to be comparable hardware. What justifies the higher NVIDIA price?

10. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Quad cores are really cheap nowadays, so you might as well go for it. Excel wont use your video card for barely anything, so really it is just being used for the OS's eye candy (like Aero and video/live taskbar previews).

You are a prime candidate for a large amount of RAM and a x64 system. As mentioned above, if you use a 32bit OS, you are limited to 3Gb no matter what.

Are you running Windows 7 or Vista now on your old machine? If so, open up the resource monitor and look at the RAM section. My bet is you are filling up your RAM and are pagefaulting like a mofo. Disk access is slow and basically what it is doing is taking stuff from RAM, putting it onto your harddrive, taking stuff off your harddrive and putting it back into RAM... alot.

I would suggest a decent but not too expense processor, as much RAM as configurable at the lowest latency and highest speeds available, and a high-RPM harddrive.

As for video cards, it really makes no difference to you. Some are partial to ATI or Nvidia, it is a personal choice. I used to prefer ATI, now I prefer Nvidia just because generally they outperform ATI now whereas it was reversed in the past (like P4 days).

I actually recommend you get the processor you want and the PC you want but absolutely NO upgrades to the RAM or harddrive. Then buy off Newegg some RAM and an uber fast large capacity harddrive and upgrade yourself. You will save yourself hundreds of dollars.

1 person likes this.
  11. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    1 person likes this.
  12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes, you should have a noticeable difference. We did after building similar machines

I never used to believe in performance graphics cards "oh it's just for gamers." I even used to just use the onboard graphics, figuring there was no way a graphics card could help performance

Onboard graphics will share system RAM and it will slow things down a bit. Anything you can do to offload from the CPU and RAM is worth it, up to a point. I generally wouldn't spend more than $120 on a graphics card though

The one machine we built was nVidia SLI compatible, so we used SLI compatible RAM, and a decent $100 SLI compatible graphics card. Performance is noticeably faster than the generic machines we have with similar RAM amount and quad core processors

There is little price increase using a "matched" motherboard, RAM, and GPU. You'd be surprised at the performance

1 person likes this.
  13. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Microsoft Technet 349$ first year, 249$ thereafter gives you 25 + licenses of every program they make so one copy of Office10 pays for all the copies of office and windows you can use...
    Dual Quad core running 64 bit would definitely speed up any software written for multi processors.

1 person likes this.
  14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    TechNet is an option for some, as well as an MSDN subscription. Depends on what your needs are

15. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The other posts have already covered the technical details, so I won't reiterate. I just wanted to express my abject horror that anyone would consider pages and pages of spread sheets a good idea. Someone at your organization needs to do some serious head knocking.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  16. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

FYI: I do a lot of scientific computing for work and some of our applications have begun to take advantage of the GPU to do vector math at intense speed (so it's not exactly just for gamers). For general office tasks, it may be worth it to get a Core i5/7 series because they are a little faster for serial processes (where multi-core doesn't help a lot). It's worth considering that while Excel '07 may have been modified for multiple cores, only a subset of tasks have really been engineered to take advantage of these resources.

The situation at many financial firms would probably give you both nightmares and PTSD then.

1 person likes this.
  17. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm trying to push the image out of my mind. It's not working.

:D

Tom

18. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As I earlier mentioned, the concept was developed over several years and now has sacred-cow status. So I have to work with this.

2k1Toaster offered a good idea to keep an eye on the Windows Task Manager. I've got that running now to monitor CPU utilization %.

I'll probably place my PC order by the end of the month. I may be approaching the top of the queue regarding a replacement work computer, so I want to see what happens there and whether I'll actually be able to do productive work with the new work computer or just use it to navigate the various security processes.

19. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I hope you can bill by the hour then. Sounds like a real Charlie Foxtrot of a place to work at

20. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not just cpu %, but memory usage and page faults per second. Your CPU is probably running high, but my bigger guess is your page fault rate is through the roof. You can get this in the Resource Manager which can be found in the Task Manager in the Performance tab. It gives a lot more information.

Just to show what I mean, I switched between a few programs running in the task bar. Photoshop had been idle a while so windows took it upon itself to swap its memory to the harddrive. It took a little longer to come back to life, and as you can see the pagefaults spiked. This is where a huge bottleneck is. If I had say double to RAM, it would never pagefault with what I currently have open.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.