1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PC recipe sharing thread

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by galaxee, Mar 25, 2006.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    so i've really been getting back into cooking lately- i've always enjoyed it but since we need to go with healthier foods for DH's health i found it's easier and cheaper to make things at home myself and i've pretty much taken off with that. i've made all sorts of good healthy snack-type foods (applesauce, bran muffins that actually taste good, etc)

i found an AWESOME recipe last week for italian vegetable soup and finally made it tonight. it was so good i just ate 2 bowls of it (and i'm not one to eat much of anything at a time)

2 cans low sodium chicken broth
    1 potato, cubed (make them small cubes)
    1 carrot, chopped
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    1 tsp italian seasoning
    1/8 tsp pepper
    1 bay leaf

mix together and simmer 25 minutes.

meanwhile, cook up about a half cup of shell noodles and drain.

once veggies are tender enough for your taste, add noodles and 1 can diced tomatoes, stir it up real good, and try like hell to wait until it's cool enough to eat.

mmmmmm. healthy food that doesn't suck. i like it. :D

anyone else with a good recipe to share?

2. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I and my family are Thai food addicts, and we have been very happily surprised to find that it is easy and fast to cook at home.

We are lucky to have a great store in town for fresh and prepackaged ingredients, but I bet everything could be bought online also. Tofu, chicken, and fish are often substitued one for another, but I only have experience with Tofu. Thai peppers are the best, but I figue anybody so inclined already knows that.

Tofu Tom Ka ($2 - $3 for a family of 4):
    2 cans of coconut milk
    Tom prepackaged spices (mostly just ground up galangal)
    As much Tofu as wanted
    1 lb favorite veggies
    Lime leaves, lemon grass, sesame seed oil

Quck way:
    milk, spices, leaves, tofu and grass heated up to boiling
    Veggies added, and cooked to taste (just hot, for me)

Fryed way:
    Three pans
    Pan#1: milk, spices, leaves, grass
    Pan#2: Fry Tofu w/ sesame oil
    Pan#3: Wok to heat veggies

Rice available at all times :)

3. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Easy and delicious :)

Squid Saute with Tomatoes and Garlic

1 1/2 pounds squid, cleaned
    15 garlic cloves, peeled
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
    2 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
    1 large bunch oregano, leaves only, chopped

Cut the squid bodies into 1/4-inch rings. Wash, dry and place in a mixing bowl. Puree the garlic with 1/4 cup of the olive oil in a blender until smooth. Pour over the squid. Add the salt and pepper, tossing well to combine.
    Heat a dry, medium skillet over high heat. Then add a generous tablespoon of the remaining olive oil and heat until almost smoking. Pour in one-third of the marinated squid and saute about 30 seconds. Stir in one-third each of the tomatoes and oregano and cook about 2 minutes longer, just until the tomatoes dissolve and the garlic colors slightly. Transfer to a platter, wipe out the skillet and repeat two times. Serve hot. This dish works best when the squid is sauteed in batches. If the pan gets too crowded, it steams rather than sautes, which toughens the meat. This can be served over rice and beans as an entree, or with flour tortillas as an appetizer.

4. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :lol: :lol: A labor of love... :lol: :lol:

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  6. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Easy Teriyaki Chicken - just five ingredients!

A pound of your favorite chicken parts. I prefer legs and thighs as they are jucier than breasts. Leave the skin on if to be barbecued. If cooked in oven then remove skin and cut away fatty bits.

One cup full-flavored soy sauce. Low salt or other new-fangled "healthy" blends won't do. My mom swore by Kikkoman.

One cup packed DARK brown sugar.

One thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger root.

Two or three cloves of fresh garlic.

Peel the ginger root and garlic, then use the flat of a large knife to crush them, so their juices will elute into the sauce. Place both mashed roots into a bowl. Add soy sauce and sugar. Stir until sugar melts. The resulting sauce should be a bit thick. Prep the chicken parts and place in a plastic bag. Pour the sauce over the chicken, making certain the ginger and garlic bits get in, too.
    Massage the bag for a few seconds so that each piece of chicken comes in contact with the sauce.
    Place the bag in the 'frig and allow the chicken to marinate for a few hours. Over night is even better.

Remove the chicken from the bag and place in a shallow baking dish. The dish should be large enough so the pieces don't touch.

Bake in a pre-warmed 375 degree oven until done, about an hour. Turn once. The surface of the chicken should be sticky from a layer of the baked-on marinade.
    Or cook over a grill (my favorite method)

Also a good marinade for turkey, beef (great for kabobs!), and fish. For the fish, only a couple hours' marinating is fine. A meaty fish, like tuna steaks, works best.

Serve hot with rice and a simple vegetable, like steamed carrots or warmed peas.

Grilled teriyaki chicken wings make great pupus.

You can add some cider vinegar to make an adobo, or try dribbling in some sake. Yum!

7. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

I always knew meg's had Squid on her mind... :D

Oh, and here's a recipie from me:

Sugar cookies:

1. Buy one of those blue sugar cookie dough rolls (usually near the OJ and milk at your local grocery store (I THINK it's Pillsbury))
    2. preheat oven to 425F
    3. cut dough up into a bunch of pieces
    4. place pieces on cookie sheet, approx. 2 inches apart
    5. place in over for, oh, i don't know how long, but until the tops get brown

MOST IMPORTANT:

6. get them out while they're still hot and a BIT doughy on the inside (this is where years of experience comes in)
    7. enjoy with either super cold sweetened iced tea, or super cold coca-cola, until you get sick
    8. swear you'll never do it again, but damn, it was worth it!

:D

8. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Best Tilapia Recipe
    Pan sear, with small amount oil, tilapia that has been s/p. Add small pat of butter, squeeze of lime, splash of rum and handful of cilantro. For more heat crushed red pepper flakes may be added.

This is so quick so have everything prepped to start with. I like this with:

Sweet Potato Pancakes w/chipolte sour cream
    Grated one large sweet potato, add one egg, crackers (crushed, ritz type), 1/4 teas. ground cloves, Cajun salt mix to taste. Mix together and brown in hot pan with a small amount of oil, remember sweet potatoes have higher sugar content and will burn if not watched closely. I brown them there and then hold them in a warmed oven. Make them small2-3 inches across. Mix sour cream with desired amounts of chipolte and cilantro. Serve warm or cold.

9. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

13 Bean Soup

1 lb dried beans(I found a mix of 13 beans at the local fresh market)
    1 16 oz can diced tomatoes(or 28 oz can if you like them)
    1 medium yellow onion
    1/2 cup celery
    1/2 cup bell pepper
    1 Tsp Ketchup
    1 Tsp Cumin
    1 Tsp Chili Powder
    1 Tsp Oregano
    Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder to taste
    Pan Sausage(or chicken if you prefer)

Rinse then soak beans overnight in water. Next day: Drain beans, add all ingredients except meat and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Stir and simmer for 2 hours or until beans are tender. Brown meat in a pan and add to soup. Cook for an additional 25 minutes. Voila!

10. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Rice with Lentils
    (From a good friend, Parul Patel)

1 clove garlic
    Medium onion
    1 t. ground cumin

Chop, place in large saute pan with tight fitting lid. Saute' in butter or light oil until clear.

2 sticks cinnamon
    6 cloves
    4 whole peppercorns

Add to hot pan, fry for ~2 minutes.

1 bay leaf
    1 cup dried brown lentils
    2 C. hot water
    salt, about 1/2 t.

Add to hot pan, lower heat and simmer until lentils are cooked, just tender (about 30 minutes)

1/2 C. basmati or other long grain rice. The more fragrant rice, the better. Some folks love jasmine rice.
    Hot water to cover.

Add to hot pan. Bring to boil, then lower heat to simmer and cover. Cook until rice is done - test a couple of grains after 20 minutes gentle steaming. If the pan gets too dry, add a bit of hot water and continue covered steaming.

Serve hot with your favorite curries.

11. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Cold Remedy

Managed to catch a head cold while in San Francisco, after a week of wine tasting in Napa. Got this recipe over twenty years ago from an elderly neighbor in NJ. It works wonders!

1 part honey
    2 parts whiskey
    4 parts freshly squeezed lemon juice

Mix in saucepan. Heat gently; do NOT boil. Pour into mug and retreat to bed. Sit propped up by lots of pillows, inhale vapors and sip.

Might not cure your cold but sip enough and you won't care!

12. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup,
    Used that one myself, only used brandy, also had it hot, works great!

Now here's mine
    I like a good cup of coffee and Balys (sp?), but don't like the $20 a bottle it costs, so came up with my own irish cream.

1 can sweetened condensed milk
    2 eggs, well beaten
    9 TBSP chocolate syrup
    3 TSP vanilla extract
    1 pt half and half
    1 pt liquid coffee creamer
    2 cup whisky
    1 cup brandy
    1 pt whipping cream

Then just mix all together, and don't be afraid to experiment with the brandy/whisky ratio. The idea is to make it the way you like it (duh). :)

P.S. Please have the Prius safetly tucked in and put to bed before consuming