1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PC Wash mini meet

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by hdrygas, Jan 22, 2006.

1. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Dave I and Mike had a brief meeting today. Mike showed us the THHS and flashed Dave's car, and yes it does take about an hour as the THHS is a 1200 baud device. Sherman set the Way Back Machine to 1984!! You hook it up and wait. With disassembly hooking up the charger etc. 2 hours is a fair estimate for that, computer registration, paper work and a little padding, but not much. We also flashed my CAN View to the most recent beta software. Mike got a chance to see 3 versions of the CAN View software. The present shipping version that I was running. Dave had the last beta and I put on the most recent beta. (BTW I love the little icons on the menu!!) I think with Mikes help I should be able to figure out MG2 temps and inverter temps (yes there are two of them) MG1 is also available but it is calculated by HV ECU. Hopefully we can get Mike to a general meeting.

2. benighted

benighted New Member

Why would you set it to 1984?

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Henry or Dave let me know if your going to do a meeting as I'd like to talk to Mike as well. A friday saturday or a sunday would work for me. I'll also see if Norm is interested as I'm sure he is.

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    1984 because as I remember I had a 1200 Baud modem on my first Mac. Had to create a connecting wire and used RedRider to get on the CompuServe Apple board. Those were the days. OK my memory could be failing.
    Frank I think that is a great idea. Mike is very interested in better ways of doing diagnostics and sees the CAN View as a diagnostic tool. Norm and Mike and you we could sell tickets! He also wants a CAN View for his Lexis!
    I had one other thought. I could get in contact with Lacy Parks and see if they would like the PC Washington folks at the Alternative Fuel Fair again this year. Maybe we could get Oregon folks this year.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    shame we're so far away, my DH would also like to check out the CAN view as a helpful diagnostic device. guess we'll have to save up and just get one of our own ;)

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I'm up for the fair again that was a good way to spend a day. Enjoyed meeting people and showing off my Prius and explaining the advantages of a hybrid. Not sure if the wife will let me take the 2k4 but the 2k3 for sure and the miniscanner as well. Keep me in the loop. Galaxee just get in the black ghost and hit the road, split the driving and you should be here in 2days. And only 80$ for gas. If my old apprentice with his GF can go from here to NYC and back in 9 days, whats keeping you??

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yep and bring your hubby Mike and he can have a bicoastal confab! I will listen. I will try to call on Monday.

8. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    work! he's used up his vacation for the year already, and he's got a few customers waiting for him to come back to fix their weird prius issues... :angry:

that and you know, the whole he-goes-nuts-when-he-doesn't-have-cars-to-fix thing. Mike would have to lend him his bay at the shop for a day or so to let the urge subside :lol:

maybe we'll pull a southeast-to-northwest trip one of these days. when he earns more vacation time and the nazis of duke quit giving me such a rough time.

and hdrygas, i know he'd love to talk to another tech that's as passionate as he is about prii and fixing cars in general. they're rare specimens ya know. :)

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yep I would guess that not a lot Techs will come in for an hour or so to talk cars and look at what is happening on a Sunday. Well it would have been nice to sit in the corner and listen to them and even talk pharmacology. I did a semester at U of M in medicinal chemistry. Did some work on using gas chromatography in detecting DDA (metabolite of DDT) it was actually used for a while in some research and testing. Nice to think I may have saved an eagle or two.
    BTW if you come here mid July to late September. We have some glorious weather then.

10. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    we'll have to think about that. i've always had pleasant conversations with MDs about science. we have another trip up to wi in july for a wedding, think that's going to use up the rest of our vacation funds for the year... (sigh) but one of these days we would like to see that end of the country.

11. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Do come, at this time of year it is gray and drizzly, but in the summer it is glorious, Puget Sound in the middle and the Olympic Mountains on one side, the Cascade Mountains on the other and this year they are full of snow. On a clear day we can see beyond forever. I have lived in a number of areas in the US and during the summer no place is better than the PNW. Maybe there will be a meeting on Pharmacology or some such and you can use OPM to get out here.

12. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i am a member of ASPET (american society for pharmacology and experimental therapeutics) which is a member organization of FASEB (um, federation of american societies of experimental biology, i think) which has their meetings in san diego/san fran/DC on a rotating schedule :( went to san diego and had a blast there. sigh. well we'll see the country one of these days, when we win the lottery or otherwise strike it rich ;)

13. benighted

benighted New Member

OK I get it.. I didn't know they had CompuServ in 1984? I didn't get my first computer until 1994. My dad ordered it from an AT&T catalog, it was a Pentium 120MHZ with 8MB RAM and 4X CD-ROM drive plus a 19200 baud modem with voicemail and call center. I'm surprised the computer voicemail and fax system didn't catch on. ... It looks like I've hijacked this thread to death, I'm getting good at that.

14. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I was on CompuServ before that using my Apple ][. I think my first modem was 300 baud. Can't remember when I first connected. They still have a building in Columbus Ohio with their name on it.

15. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ya we have been too used to USB speeds. actual flash time was about 55 mins. 35 for one, 20 for the other. the hookup time was minimal. after the flash, there is a handful of codes that have to be cleared, that takes 5 mins. and that is that. mine took an hour because we were already inside the shop. on a regular day, figure 10 mins for paperwork then wait time to pull the car inside and get the process going.

on the Alternative Fuel Fun Fair and Electric Car Rally, if you can take a few hours, its a fun day. lots of electrics, alternative fuels, information, and a lot of...hmmm...different (to say the least) forms of transportation.

one guy had a large fan mounted to the back of a dune buggy. the fan turned, created a tail wind and rolled him down the road. very cool