1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PCS...is ours the latest version?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Thai, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hey all,

I am doing my little reading on PCS (pre-collision system) for Level V ATP Prius. Our PCS is able to do three things when collision is unavoidable:

1. tightens the front seatbelts
    2. prime the brakes and put Brake Assist on alert
    3. actually brakes the vehicle for you automatically to a halt, all without driver intervention

I was just reading PCS in my parent's 2010 ES350. PCS in the ES350 can only do the first two steps...it does not actually slow down the vehicle. I remembered PCS in the Lexus LS430 also does not slow down the vehicle by itself. PCS in the Lexus LX570 is similar to ES (aka can only do the first two steps).

PCS in the LS460 can do all 3 steps above + having an infrared camera to read whether your face is facing forward or not. So, we don't have the infrared thingy, but we can do all 3 steps.

PCS in the Lexus HS250 is like the ES350 but with the infrared camera reading your face. So, it can do the first two steps only but it has the infrared camera.

Thus, we essentially have the most advanced (and most protective!) PCS of any Lexus/Toyota cars/SUVs, with the exception of the LS460 simply because it has the additional infrared camera. And as for the HS250, i much prefer step 3 over the infrared camera because step 3 actually PREVENTS an actual collision. Even if the infrared camera beeps and waves its hands, my reaction time may not be quick enough.

What do you guys think? I think that we got it good with ATP! :rockon:

2. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    BTW, here is a Youtube video of PCS: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-pTakVadH4]YouTube - 2010 Toyota Prius: Pre Collision System[/ame]

3. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    For example, the new 2011 Sienna has PCS, but it does NOT brake the vehicle on its own:

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Ours would be the basic PCS. Like you said, the LS460 & LS600h L have the A-PCS (A for advanced). The LS version will stiffen the front suspension, quicken the steering ratio, close the windows/moonroof as well as tighten the seatbelts and bringing the brake pads closer to the discs and priming ABS/Brake Assist.

The camera used for LKA is also used in PCS to map the objects ahead to determine if it's an animal or a vehicle. (Our PCS only sees large objects like cars and may not see motorcycles).

It has a rear mounted radar to detect a possible rear end collision and move the headrests closer to front occupants' heads.

Lastly, it has the camera you speak of that maps the driver's face to determine if he/she is paying attention and will warn the driver if it detects an obstacle ahead and the driver isn't looking ahead.

Oh and the most advanced Toyota radar cruise control will work down to 0km/h (IOW, you can do the entire bumper-to-bumper commute without touching the pedals. It will brake the vehicle to 0km/h)

5. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Cool, good to know. I did not read about all that stuff on Lexus website...it would help if Lexus mentioned all that on their website! Ours would be 2nd best then! :D I wonder if our PCS would stop the vehicle in traffic (with cruise ON)...according to the video, it can.

And right now, i think the Prius is the only Toyota with Radar cruise and PCS (along with LKA).

6. guinness_fr

guinness_fr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I played with it a little and the cruise stops braking with a beep when reaching below 40 km/h (25 mph?) - as advertised in the manual, I did not have the nerves to not apply the break myself and see if the car would avoid the collision (it would not have been a friendly braking as the DRCC usually does - that I can tell you).

I also once tested the PCS with some cardboxes (and a bit of foil) at child's height (a bit below 5 feet). It did beep but the brakes were not applied soon enough to avoid the collision (even with only empty cardboxes, it is very difficult to avoid braking yourself - I believe I did start applying the brakes at the same time the PCS did, and I did run over the cardboxes). Do not try this at home, you might damage your car.
    I might try again with more cardboxes that I'll spray with water (as a wet cardbox has a radar signature closer to animals), but don't hold your breath because it won't be anytime soon.

2 people like this.
  7. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    guinness...thanks for the real-life testing!!

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You'll find this link useful =)

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...5-nihon-car-bike-toyota-safety-day-video.html

9. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Although we're not A-PCS, but our PCS is still up there in the 2nd tier department because it can do the 3 functions listed above. PCS in the lower Lexus lineup and Sienna cannot do the 3 functions.