1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PCS unavailable causing radar cruise unavailable

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Andreas121, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Andreas121

Andreas121 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Good evening,

I recently purchased a used 2017 Prius with a cruise control that didn’t work. After some research I purchased a radar sensor and installed it. The cruise control worked great for about a month. Then stopped working again. Now again it says pre-collision system unavailable and the car crashing symbol is flashing. I’ve run the codes with no luck. Can vibration cause the radar sensor to stop working?
    I understand there is technically an alignment process, however I don’t believe this is the issue due to it working for a month.
    Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no idea, but possibly a wiring issue that is causing failure.

3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome to PC! Just so you know that new members' first few posts are moderated, so don't be surprised if it takes a few hours for them to show up. I think it's the first five posts.

On to your question! Perhaps a connection didn't fully click and has come apart? In the meantime, while DRCC is not working, regular cruise control might still work. Not sure about that, but I think it ought to since it works on cars that don't have radar.

4. Andreas121

Andreas121 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    DRCC will not work if the pre-collision system is unavailable. Is there a way to bypass the pre-collision system so that the DRCC would work as traditional cruise control. I’m still confused why the DRCC would work fine for a month then all of a sudden stop working.

5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Regular cruise control is simply a matter of long pressing the cruise control button as shown in the owners manual. I very rarely use DRCC. That's not really bypassing the PCS, but regular cruise control doesn't use radar, so it should still work. Not having had a radar failure, I can't say for sure.