1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pedal Position Code on 2005

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Suspenderman, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Suspenderman

Suspenderman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2005 with 206,000 miles and the check engine light came on. The code reads "pedal position" but local mechanics are not knowledgeable to deal with electronics. The check engine light has been sporadic off and on so is this serious? Any suggestions on possible repair as closest dealer is 2 hours away. Thanks

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please specify the exact code. In the meantime, I assume the code was either P012x, P022x, or P2135 (where x is some number from 0 to 3). In all of those cases, the throttle position sensor is the most likely suspect and needs to be replaced.

The sensor is made of two variable resistors which track the throttle plate opening angle. When one of the variable resistors starts to produce a faulty reading, the engine ECU will generate the DTC.

Assuming that the logged code was one or more of the ones I listed, you need to have the throttle position sensor replaced now. If you allow the condition to continue and the sensor gets worse, the throttle angle will be locked open at only 16 degrees ("limp home" mode) and the engine will perform very poorly.

If the car was previously subject to a front-end collision then the wiring harness associated with the throttle position sensor needs to be checked for integrity.

If you take your car to a Toyota dealer for service they may require that the entire throttle body assembly be replaced which likely will result in a four-digit charge. The repair manual does not provide a procedure to separately replace the throttle position sensor.

Hence, you might look into the availability of a used part from a salvaged vehicle. The throttle body assembly can be replaced fairly easily as a DIY project assuming you have the correct tools. Replace the gasket between the throttle body and the intake manifold with a new part. You cannot allow any air leaks below the throttle plate.

#2 Patrick Wong, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    Suspenderman likes this.
  3. Suspenderman

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you so much for this information. The "check engine" comes on sporadic so maybe it hasn't totally failed yet. Your description depicts a part other than what comes up in searches on auto parts websites. There I see an accelerator pedal with a sensor box attached. But for a 2005 it is an assembly that goes on the intake manifold, right? Again, thank you so much

4. Suspenderman

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went back to the local guy and got the exact code. P1121-Accelerator pedal position sensor.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC P1121 means the engine coolant flow control valve is failing. That is a totally different issue than the throttle position sensor.

The urgency to replace that valve is not so high, but it's failure may impair cabin heater operation.

Suspenderman likes this.
  6. Suspenderman

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you again. The code reader claims throttle positioned but.... I believe you totally.glad to hear it is not urgent but I will get it fixed. I keep the coolant levels checked but I doubt that it has ever been changed.
    Thanks again for your help......