1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

pedestrians

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by justwatchme, Dec 21, 2004.

1. justwatchme

justwatchme New Member

How do you guys deal with pedestrians in parking lots who dont hear you so they just keep talking and walking in the middle of the road? honking seems a bit excessive, so ive just been stopping, then pushing the gas until the ice turns on so they can hear me

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They're worth points, you know. :twisted:

3. fred

fred New Member

whats really fun is ghosting up to them and just blasting the horn! its really great if they grab their chest and turn blue!

but seriously, folks... iwork at one of the busiest stores on the planet (home depot in nashville) and i have to be very careful as i drive thru our parking lot. i drive extra slow and people do walk right in front of me. i give a smile when they look up with eyes wide as saucers. i dont beep at them because they get mad. i also have my headlights on which helps a little. i just dont want to squish my customers (very bad for business you know) 8)

4. disneydad

disneydad Junior Member

Run your heat or air and the ICE will run.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would say that once you are up close to them, a very quick tap on the horn is acceptable. It sends a very different message than leaning on it.

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Not necessarily. AC is run off the HV battery, and cabin heat is provided using heated engine coolant circulated to the core by an electric motor, supplemented by electric resistive heating (about 350W).

7. Pixie

Pixie New Member

I don't mind waiting a bit for oblivious walkers but, if they stop and look like they're going to set up shop, I'll tap the horn.

8. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think if you turn on the defroster on max heat that will keep the ICE running?

9. cnetter

cnetter New Member

My wife pointed out that it would NOT be good to run over the peds in our church parking lot. Blood is so hard to get off the hood of a car! ;-)

When they finally did notice us, you could see them mouthing something along the lines of "ooh, that's one of those hybrids!"

10. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just give a quick tap on the horn. I usually get more of a look of surprise, than annoyance.

The other day, I watched a pedestrian watch me with his jaw open, turning his head as I passed him untill he couldn't turn around without stopping anymore. :mrgreen:

11. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Pedestrians are ok to sneak up on but I really like bicyclists. There is a big hill going into Olympia proper and the speed limit is 25 so you get the battery charged up and then ghost up to their shoulder before they see you! Scares them out of at least two lives. :twisted:

12. fred

fred New Member

see thats why you have almost 800 messages and i only have a mere 80 or. you think outside the box. what a wonderful idea! but here in nashville most of the bicyclists are suffering from shell shock over the number of times theyve been run off the road!! :p :p

13. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    It doesn't show so badly on the Salsa Red.

Seriously, I just let them keep walking; and yes many do jump when they realize that a car is behind them and they don't hear the engine.

14. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I keep a few tomatoes in the car that I can throw at pedestrians to get their attention. Works great and since my Prius is Salsa red it's kind of like it's spitting at them. I wonder why people don't laugh? Doc says my broken nose will heal soon.

15. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I only tap the horn at people who walk in front of me while talking on their cell phones. I only tap, no full-out blasting. I've yet to have anyone get so startled that they drop their phone, but there's always tomorrow. :twisted: