1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

People checking out my car! lol

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BethlehemPrius, Jul 16, 2007.

1. BethlehemPrius

BethlehemPrius New Member

Ok I have owned my car now for over 7 months and not once has anyone asked about it or anything along those lines. (at least folks I don't know)

Last week came out of the grocery store and saw a guy walking around checking out my car, at first I though oh no, tell me he hit it! (i have bad luck) But no he was curious about it, I guess folks are finally starting to come around from driving gas guzzlers all the time. He was driving a Grand Cherokee and he commented on how he never really looked at one up close and couldn't believe the amount of room the car had in it, as I showed him the cargo area with seats down was almost as big as his suv. :)

All ya gotta do is take off the trim rings and pimp it out a bit and it becomes a cool looking car vs odd....

Hopefully another person has seen the light to join the club!

2. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's pretty cool! Perhaps you converted him to the way of the Prius? I've had only a few folks approach me about my Prius-maybe 6 or 7 total. One of them was a fellow Prius owner who had parked next to me at the grocery store. He didn't have Nav or the backup camera in his so I showed him mine.

3. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I got a good coment today as I was getting out of my car. There was a full size 3/4 ton pickup parked next to me and a coworker walking by motioned to my Prius and said 200 miles per gallon and then motioned to the pickup and said 2 miles per gallon. I said I wish, but told him I was getting 51 and that was impressive enough for him. About the same as his motorcycle.

4. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had 5 or 6 different people comment on the car, mostly positive. One guy at a gas station said to me when I pulled up to the pump, he was filling a big Jeep, "I thought those thing did use any gas". I said not much, I opened the hatch pulled out my 5 gallon can for my mower and filled it and took off.

Another gentleman at WalMart who opens the cage for propane tanks said when I drove up to get my refill "here comes the car that dosen't make any sound". He is totally impressed with it.

5. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BethlehemPrius @ Jul 16 2007, 11:01 PM) [snapback]480018[/snapback]</div>
    literally the same thing happened to me when I was checking into my security booth at work the other day. I come out with my parking pass and theres a guy peering in my windows. I was like hey whats up and he asked "say is this one of those hybrids?". Eventually his buddy came out of hiding too and they started asking me about my mpg and the shifter and commented about the amount of room.

by the end he said to his buddy hey man we have to get us one of these!

6. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Jul 17 2007, 02:00 AM) [snapback]480094[/snapback]</div>
    My Prius gets more mpg's than my motorcycle. The best I've gotten from my motorycle is 50 mpg on slower, 55 mph roads. At Interstate speeds, that drops to 45 mpg or so.

I think it's amazing a roomy car gets better fuel economy than a motorcycle.

Harry

7. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had a similar experience at work a few weeks ago. I came out to the parking deck and found the security truck parked behind my car and the guys looking at my car. I asked if there was something wrong and they told me they were just checking out the hybrid. Asked me a bunch of questions about it and seemed suitably impressed.

One of the first questions I always get is "what kind of mileage do they really get?" And I can honestly say that I get well over 50. :)

8. gmlawrence

gmlawrence New Member

I have owned my Prius for almost a month now. I have had co-workers walk up to me in the parking garage and start conversations on gas mileage etc and compare it to their truck etc. They also did not realize how big the car was inside.

I also had my car at the local car wash and as it was waiting to be dried a gentleman was peering inside checking it out. I just sat on the bench grinning thinking maybe we have another convert. I was also thinking of how proud I was of my car :D

9. doubleg2005

doubleg2005 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BethlehemPrius @ Jul 16 2007, 10:01 PM) [snapback]480018[/snapback]</div>
    that's great!!

i was over at my fiancee's uncle's house the other day and he was asking all sorts of questions about mine. i think the best info i gave him was going out to the car, popping the hood, and letting him just look while i told him about the environmental impacts, fuel economy, and performance (which I think is comparable to the 2000 Malibu i drove before).

as he walked away he shook his head and muttered, "I'm such a fuel-pig..." (he drives a Duramax Diesel that gets about 8 mpg...)

10. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dear Hubby and I were sitting in our favorite restaurant, watching a group of 4 circling our car, peering in at the dash, reading my window stickers...
    ...I fully expected to have to wipe drool off the sides of my car.

11. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've never come up to anyone checking out my Prius (yet). I certainly checked out quite a few of them when I was still waffling about getting one (and before I went on a test drive and rented one). I was especially curious about the interior. I have had quite a few people that I don't know (or just met) comment on it and ask how I like driving it. There's no denying that the Prius is still a conversation piece.

12. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Earthling @ Jul 17 2007, 06:52 AM) [snapback]480153[/snapback]</div>
    !! What's the motorcycle?

13. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Jul 17 2007, 01:58 PM) [snapback]480471[/snapback]</div>
    My friend also says he gets about 55 mpg on his motobike. Not sure what kind it is.

I had one stranger quiz me about my Prius in the parking lot. We talked for 20 minutes. He also liked my license plate. see left.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    my friend gets 5.0L/100km in his bike (about 47mpg) so I still beat him :p