1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

People flashing their brights at me...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Indy, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Indy

Indy New Member

Every time I drive at night, multiple people flash their brights at me, as if my low beams are aimed too high.

Has anyone elso noticed this?

I have the basic package, but I have noticed that the standard headlights are extraordinarily bright, even on low beam.

If you all think this is unusual, I will have them checked next time I am at the dealership.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They may be misaligned. Have the dealer check that.

3. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Are you carting around a heavy load? On a trip I noticed I was getting flashed which doesn't normally happen. Then I realized that the large TV in the back had something to do with that.

4. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It occasionally happens to me as well, but I haven't had the alignment checked out. I attributed it to their being brighter than a lot of lights people are used to. This has only been done by only around 5 drivers in 8 months, so I haven't been concerned enough to get it checked out.

Load does not seem to affect this.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My Canadian Prius has halogen lamps as the HID are not compatible with DRL, which run off the headlights. Some cars with four lamps, such as the Chrysler Pacifica, use the low beams as HID and the halogen high beams as DRL in Canada.

My headlights were severely misaimed, on low beam they lit up the tree tops. High beam was worthless. Here in Manitoba, the provincially owned car insurance scheme AutoPac requires digital headlight aiming for approved body shops.

The dealer has their own bodyshop and it's AutoPac approved. They have a dedicated stall for the digital headlight aiming machine, apparently the machine cost over $10,000.

With the headlights properly aimed I'm very satisfied with them. The low beams have good reach, the beam cutoff is very sharp and exact. High beam has good highway reach.

I have not been flashed since getting my headlights professionally aimed.

6. Indy

Indy New Member

I do carry a portable office, with most of the weight in the hatchback area, but I think this may amount to thirty pounds at most. And, this weekend I took all of that out to clean, and I drove a few hours away, and I got the same response.

Typically, it happens to me about once in every three or four approaching cars.

I will ask the dealer to check it out.

Thanks,

-Indy

P.S. The other thought I had was that by putting two pounds more pressure in the front tires, which are not the factory tires (Comfortreads), I was aiming the lights higher. Any thoughts?

7. BitShifter01

BitShifter01 New Member

If you have a Prius that's equipped with HID lights, then the Prius has self leveling lights. There is an indicator that will light of you need to have your lights adjusted. I get flashed sometimes. I seriously doubt it's because you are carrying a heavy load. That's what the self leveling is for. However, if you have 'bigger' tires that might effect your alignment of your lights.

Keep up posted!
    Bit
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Indy\";p=\"95679)</div>

8. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

"There is an indicator that will light of you need to have your lights adjusted."

I think this lamp indicates a system malfunction, not the need to aim them.

9. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was wondering about this! I also get people flashing their brights ALL the time- It is so annoying, as I do live in a rural area. I just figure I have to deal with it. Let me know if you find a fix!

10. BitShifter01

BitShifter01 New Member

I have an idea for you! This is for people who are on the highway traveling in the same direction as you.....Slow down, Get behind the idiotic driver who flashed you, and flash them back. It always makes them feel like an idiot when you show them your highbeams. Of course, there might be that one driver out there that pulls you off the side of the road and beats the crap out of you. So this is highly unadvisable :)
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(remaxmanager\";p=\"95928)</div>

11. alsgameroom

alsgameroom Member

heres a low tech idea! ... I used to align my headlamps this way in a simpler day and age...(I was driving VW beetles then)

park another car about 10-15 feet from a wall, mark with chalk where the front tires are and then mark where the head lamp spots are on the wall.

then park your mis-aligned car in the same spot to verify.

:)

12. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Most of the time I get people flashing me from the other direction, I did however once get someone in front of me going the same direction, and I wasn't even that close to them, but I guess they thought I was one of those rude drivers that forgot to turn of my brights as I approached him, he pulled over, let me pass, and then got right on my bumper and turned his high beams on! Ticked me off! So I put on my brakes and made it clear he was messin with the wrong hybrid!
    I cannot tell you how many drivers of full size trucks are rude on the road. Most of them never give me the right of way, and always cut me off- why are they so mad that I am saving gas? LOL IDIOTS!

13. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Another easy check is to find a parking lot that is approximately level and flat, with a wall on one end. Approach the wall with your low beams, and note the height of the cut-off. If they are properly aimed (slightly downward), the cut-off line will rise as you approach the wall. If it stays the same or lowers as you approach, they aren't aimed downward and need to be adjusted.

14. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I don't have HID lights and am often flashed, and yes, I flash back very quickly so they know that I'm not being a jerk and driving with the high beams on. When I go to the dealership next time I'm going to have them check the lights, they may be set too high.

15. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I have gotten flashed 3 times in a week or two. Last time I flashed back.

Since all you are doing is moving a shutter, I wonder if they notice the change to brights.

16. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I used to have a car that for some reason got me flashed all the time. Being an older car, it had different bulbs for lows and brights. I could rock the lever back and engage them both at the same time. Now THAT was bright. So when people brighted me, I returned the favor. :twisted:

17. jdsilver

jdsilver New Member

Jayman...

What is DRL in Canada? I live in Edmonton but have not encountered the phrase before.

BTW...my Prius will (finally!) arrive in 3 weeks!

JD

18. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    DRL = Daytime Running Lights

We don't have them in the Prius down here.

19. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jdsilver\";p=\"96258)</div>
    JD:

Daytime Running Lights are federally mandated on all new vehicles, including HD trucks too. I think this started in 1989 or 1990.

My 1990 Canadian 4Runner had an odd DRL system. As soon as you started it, ALL the lights turned on:

Low beams, tail lights, parking lamps, dash lamps.

Jay