1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Percent of Prii in taxicab fleets?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Robert Holt, May 9, 2015.

1. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just observed taxi stands in Southampton England and counted 3 hatchbacks and 1 v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon) out if 18 white taxis at two stands.
    Anyone have better data on Prii in taxi fleets worldwide?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Robert Holt likes this.
  3. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, Mendel!
    Vancouver island's 225 Prius taxis were 51% of the taxi fleet, so that is the high water mark, so to speak.
    But those would have been all Gen 2s, and I wonder how the Gen 3s are faring and what the 2014 data look like.
    I am amused that Montreal Has less than 1% Prii in its taxi fleet, but I refuse to leap to the obvious conclusion about the Québécois .
    Given the proven track record , what keeps so many taxi owner/drivers away from Prii I wonder?

4. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    No hard numbers but my impressions of Victoria's current taxi fleet (excluding wheelchair cabs) are:
    Mainly Gen 3 Prius liftback
    Next would be Gen 2 Prius (decreasing) or Prius v (increasing)
    Next would be hybrid Camry
    Other vehicles seem rare enough to be noticed if you see one.

I'll look more closely when I'm out on the road

Robert Holt likes this.
  5. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    There aren't many big taxi queues in Victoria but today I cycled past a queue of 11 taxi cars picking up passengers from a cruise liner that was stopping over in Victoria. Every taxi car was a hybrid. 8 Prius of various types, 2 Camry Hybrids, and one Ford Escape Hybrid.
    There were also 2 non hybrid minivan cabs in a separate queue. (They probably specialize in Cruise ships as you don't see many around town)

I've just got back to Victoria from a trip to St John's, Newfoundland where I saw no hybrid taxis at all! I'm not sure why. The taxis there seemed to be basic 2 wheel drive vehicles of various makes so it wasn't the desirability of 4WD in Newfoundland, and gas prices were similar.
    There weren't many privately owned hybrids either which is easier to understand as private cars there tend to rust out from salt corrosion years before they would otherwise wear out from mileage. Unless you do a lot of miles per year, like a cab, a more efficient car will not last long enough in that environment to give the financial return it can elsewhere.

Robert Holt likes this.
  6. OBJ

OBJ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here in the GTA there are just a handful of hybrid cars as taxis.

7. CardiffChris

CardiffChris Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    II
    Robert Holt likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Greater Toronto Area? Grand Theft Auto?

Guessing you mean the first, here's a pic, from about 8 years back. Does look like just regular vehicles. They sure stack 'em up:

Capture.JPG

#8 Mendel Leisk, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  9. OBJ

OBJ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    GTA = Greater Toronto Area

Not much change since then but now we have Uber too. :confused:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It depends on the market. The Prius has almost disappeared from the NYC taxi fleet. In Hightstown, NJ Prius are about all you see.

NYC is supposed to be electrifying the taxi fleet and Nissan won the contract.

Robert Holt likes this.
  11. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Not really true ... plenty of Prius especially v-s are on the road ... and if we count the hybird camry and C-max-es I wold say 20-30% currently hybrid car. The new Nissan contract was invalidated if I am not mistaken by the court.... http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/04/01/lawsuitplagued_taxi_of_tomorrow_is_delayed_yet_again.php#more.

Those Nissan NV200s are not hybird nor electric nor handicap accessible (that contract was botched badly) ... originally all cab would be switched to NV200 but now looks like hybrid is an option out of that monster ... so according to that article about 20% expected to stay

I am a daily NYC driver ... also sizeable number in the "green" outer-borough fleet.