1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

percentage of aluminium

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by wdfoto, Mar 13, 2005.

1. wdfoto

wdfoto New Member

Seems like I read that aluminium is used in a large amount in the Prius. Does anyone know what the areas are aluminium and what is the weight saving.

Thanks
    wdfoto

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

hatch and hood, bumper bars, ICE block, heads, intake manifold, PSD case and MG cases, Steering rack housing, Wheels, Inverter/converter housing, and miriad small parts thru out the body and structure. I don't ever remember seeing a percentage listed.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    not to mention the alloy rims as they are lightweight alloys

Edit: if the hatch is aluminium, is most of the weight from the glass then? cause it's rather heavy compared to a Camry's bootlid which is a featherweight in comparison

4. Frank Hudon

yup the glass is about 1 1/2 times heavier than the hatch it's self. Also the spoiler is quite heavy. The hood weights less than the cardboard box it comes in.

5. Frank Hudon

another thing is the gas struts mask the weight, especially coming down. I suppose that Toy could have made them with a closer pressure to weight ratio but as soon as they loose even a bit of the gas charge the hatch wouldn't stay up.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    oh? Hmm, I could lift the hatch so that the rear window is parallel to the ground and it would hold for a few secs, then slowly rise.

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    if the weight balance on the hatch were any different, i know a few people that would have had problems with it.

of course the person i had in mind, would have had problems with it because she couldnt reach the hatch when it was open