1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Perforated" area above gloveboxes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by acousticbiker, Feb 26, 2006.

1. acousticbiker

acousticbiker New Member

The other day, I noticed for the first time a very subtle (only visible under bright but oblique lighting conditions) rectangular area (arond 6 x 9 inches with rounded corners) above the gloveboxes (on top of the dash) that appears to be lightly perforated. Anyone else notice this? Sorry, I did not capture a picture of it. Anyone know what this may have been intended for?

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's the breakaway area for your airbag.
    _H*

3. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My best guess is that that's where the passenger side airbag comes out (it just punches right through the fabric). Not having a Prius yet, I could be wrong, but that sounds pretty likely off the top of my head...

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah.. everyone else is right.. airbag.. it's laser cut.. it's probably a lot thinner than you think. This is how car companies are doing it now.. they laser cut the back to make it extremely thin... but it's alll an exact thickness so you don't really have "weak" spots... so it's still strong.. but will not hold the explosion of a mini C4... er... airbag deployment.