1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Perforated vs Solid Leather

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by PsyPrius, Jan 27, 2006.

1. PsyPrius

PsyPrius Member

Hi All-

I await a Seaside #4 and will add after market leather. I can go with exact matching of the #8 (w/perforated leather) or do a solid non-perforated/traditional type. Any recommendations on which will hold up better and offer the most longevity?

Thanks!

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably depends what you prefer. I'd think perforated would last longer but to me perforated doesn't feel as luxurious (unless to go up to the LS430). The cheaper perforated leather around the Acura brand doesn't feel rich. I don't know how the Prius' perforated leather feels. Also, with perforated leather, you won't feel as hot because the holes help circulate air. They also probably don't feel as cold as pleated leather.

Besides, if I had a choice, I'd always go for the factory option.

3. PsyPrius

PsyPrius Member

Great considerations. Thanks!

4. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I am not sure what is meant by Acura perforated leather....but I have had leather in all my cars and presently have perforated leather centers in my Prius with plain leather outers on the seats. It looks great, feels great and I am very pleased.

The seat centers are done in an almost black color that matches the dash and the outers are done in the tan that matches the factory cloth color on the head liner.

The two-tone color really dresses up the interior and everyone who has seen it has commented how nice it looks. Good luck - FYI I have posted multiple pictures of my interior on this site in the past.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the leather in my friend's 04 TSX (perforated) doesn't feel as luxurious as the leather in our 02 Camry XLE (pleated)

6. olcorral

olcorral New Member

I gotta tell you this:
    In my 2002 Tundra, I had solid leather and didn't like only because it didn't last. On the drivers side, it started to break down with creases in the left seat padding (where it has a slight angle on the left thigh). It only took about 2 years and it started to look really worn down.
    I took it back to the dealer and I was told that "I must have something sharp in my back pocket and it's scraping the leather when you get in..."
    Nope. Not even rough on the truck and I tried to take care of it inside and out.
    Talk about feel though - I am much happier with the Prius leather with the perforations. I think it will last longer given it is more flexible and softer. The truck leather seemed too fake and plastic.
    Go with the leather package.

7. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We have leather on 5 of our cars. The '99 Jeep and the '03 BMW have solid leather... and both are still great. The '05 Jeep and both '06 Prii have perforated leather.

All of them feel great... and I do not think that there is a significant difference in terms of comfort. As you can see... only our newest cars have the perforated seats so I cannot comment on durability... but I expect they will be similar.

Our leather seats have always lasted much longer than cloth seats... and we find them to be significantly more comfortable.

/Jim

8. PsyPrius

PsyPrius Member

Excellent feedback. Thanks! Any other thoughts?