1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Performance at high altitude ...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dfrost7, May 26, 2007.

1. dfrost7

dfrost7 Junior Member

I have a question. I go to the Western Sierras very often. A couple of things I have noticed are:

1. I've put 24,000 miles on in nine months and am starting to get better gas mileage. Is that me driving or the car performing?

2. I noticed the batteries tend to get low going up grade at about 4000'. They always charge up again, but It makes me wonder. I never have trouble with acceleration or speed on a grade, it just seems weird they get low when I'm at higher altitude. Know anything about this?

P.S. Bakersfield is a speed trap!!!! If you're traveling through there, both North and South of, watch the speed!!! I've been stopped twice in one month - CHPs are very nice, but won't be cutting you any slack.

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    [pet peeve rant] It's the SIERRA not the SIERRAS. There is only one mountain range named Sierra Nevada. If you are talking about the individual mountains which make up the Sierra, you don't say the Sierras mountains. [/peeve rant] ;)

24,000 miles? Yes, both you and the car have gotten better at producing higher mileage.

Low SOC at higher altitude? Yes, the car is making room for the eventual downhill charge. The same thing happens to me every time I traverse the Sierra.

Speed trap? Well, if you wouldn't speed . . . :rolleyes:
    Something tells me you don't speed through Bakersfield any more. :lol:
    I'd say the Bakersfield CHP are doing a swell job.

3. dfrost7

dfrost7 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ May 26 2007, 02:20 AM) [snapback]450293[/snapback]</div>

Funny: petulant peeve would be correct. But, thank you for correctly defining yourself as petulant.
    Being a homeowner there, in the Sierras, we use the term often. Life is too short to be so petty.
    In Wyoming the locals call the Wind River Range, the Wind Rivers or the Winds. In Colorado, they
    call the Rocky Mountain Range, the Rockies, and in California (third generation native here) we
    call the Sierra Nevada Range, The Sierras.

Yes, the Bakersfield CHP are doing a great job. The point was, the flow of traffic through Bakersfield
    is 70, the speed limit is 65, they WILL stop you going with the flow. Just a favor to anyone else getting
    away for the holiday weekend. You may want to be petulant, again, I'm sure you always travel at exactly
    the posted speed limit, but others here might appreciate knowing they need to watch their speed.

Prius Envy, Please don't bother posting something when I do. You have been either wrong or off topic both times. You accused me of being a troll and seek to be unnecessarily critical. This makes you make you look like a know-it-all who doesn't have much to do, and just downright ...... petulant.