1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Performance/Mileage vs. Octane Rating

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mboileau, Mar 16, 2004.

1. mboileau

mboileau New Member

I know the manual says 87 octane is fine, but are there any noticeable differences, advantages, or problems with using higher-octane fuel? I've always pumped premium and just figured it was better for the long haul. What's everyone using and are there any drawbacks to any particular grade?

2. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    87 is recommended. Higher octane may cause error messages.

3. xlarimer

xlarimer New Member

If the engine was created with 87 in mind, it makes no difference what octane you pick. Supposedly the computer realizes the differences (I haven't seen it though) and changes the spark accordingly. The savings is not realized with MPG at all though.

I have noticed differences on older cars (my '79 VW Bug for instance) with knocking and things. But with today's high electronic cars, (and motorcycles ... '99 Honda VFR800) the octane rating game is about as controverisal as the synthetic vs regular oil debate.

When I worked at CARB (California Air Resources Board) I asked the scientists about this and most of them agreed it was okay to put in the lower octane as long as the engine is designed to run with it.

I think the RX400H is going to be tuned to a higher compression therefore higher octane (or else it might knock) but the Hylander might be at a lower compression. However, given the joint press releases that put MPG and engine sizes on par together, I certainly HOPE that Toyota doesn't require a higher octane gas!

4. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member