1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

... perhaps a mild electrical shock, to driver and passengers?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by asjoseph, Sep 5, 2024.

1. asjoseph

asjoseph Samuel, '04 Ruthiemobile

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ... imagine, going a little too fast, automatically triggering a moving Christmas light display, for your amusement and merriment:

Big brother? California bill to require speed limit alarms in cars heads to governor | Just The News

So far, so good! Hanging in there, still got my gas stove, my gas furnace, gasoline powered lawnmower, gasoline vehicles, just trying keep what I've got, doing my best staying off our whacked-out democrats friends, bent upon taking away from me, what's mine -

Samuel, '04 Ruthiemobile

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    our bolt has a settable alarm. mine is at 58mph. what i'd like to see is a system where maximum speed is controlled by the limit of the road the car is on. that would save a lot of lives

John321 likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Most of the time I'm speeding it's because I haven't noticed, not because it makes me more of a man. So there are a lot of times I'd find an automated reminder helpful.

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Europe might be moving to that. They already have the alarm requirement California proposes. At least one thread about it in the gen5 section.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Dynamic cruise control in my Tesla works mostly fine. There are errors in the Google map speeds but these are easily over ridden without the excessively abrupt "phantom brake" events in the past.

Bob Wilson

6. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    “Traffic fatalities have risen alarmingly in California and across the nation, with speeding being a significant contributor to this public health crisis,” wrote Wiener in support of the bill.

Not taking your car away from you. It applies to 2030 on. So buy a 2029 if he signs it and no one repeals it. Saving life for the public good, when did that become a controversy? That 2029 should get you to 2039. So how old are you now? Same with your gas stove, you'll be fine.
    I have a gas stove and never think someone is taking it away from me.

bisco likes this.
  7. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I've already got that in my car (RSA) and on my old Garmin. Now road way sensors that limit the max speed of your car is going too far. That sounds like something that could be hacked and cause gridlock. All blown out of proportions, IMHO.

If the legislature is serious about public safety, Re-establish traffic cameras on any major roadways. If there's no enforcement, them rules are just suggestions - just like in other countries. Traffic cameras and heat sensors needs to be on every overpass above every carpool/HOV lanes. Now that would be a revenue generator.....

Just my 2 cents...

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    When I lived in Puerto Rico I did drive in excess of posted speed limits from time to time. Penalty costs were low generally $10 ish. Inconvenience was that the driver’s license was taken away (you get a document in substitute). You go to crime-scene municipality, pay up and get license back. A tracking document had been stapled to it, leaving two small holes. Over time there were a lot of holes. And when sopped again, policia would hold it up to the light and see all those holes and laugh. I laughed also - it was a masculinity confirming experience overall.

To exceed speed limits in a high-penalty region presents a different calculus. It is dunderhead confirming

9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Get a license.
    Get a dupe.

....holes go in the dupe. ;)

... perhaps a mild electrical shock, to driver and passengers?
    Why not just up the current and eliminate 'the bad ones?'

you know.....
    "Those" people....

1984 was SUPPOSED to be a novel.
    Not a set of instructions......

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A variation of the Hezbollah beeper and hand held radio?

On a serious note, a large, Full Self Driving vehicle loaded with explosives directed to drive to a target. About 5,000 lbs explosives and like horse shoes and hand grenades, close enough:
    upload_2024-9-20_6-52-33.png
    April 19, 1995, Oklahoma City where I lived: 1954-60, 1962-1968. I may have enlisted there in 1970.

Bob Wilson

#10 bwilson4web, Sep 20, 2024 at 7:50 AM
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2024 at 8:04 AM
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    where are these 'high penalty regions'? i want to move there

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If I remember right, the plot for that bombing was hatched in eastern Michigan, but they judged the building I worked in to be architecturally harder to bring down, so they went to OKC. The woman with my same job in the OK western district survived (I don't remember if she worked in the Murrah building or in the adjacent federal courthouse, which also took some damage) was shedding bits of glass from her scalp for some months after.

13. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It wasn't exactly 'self driving.....'