1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Perhaps we need hybrid COWS?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by narcoossee, Dec 13, 2006.

1. narcoossee

narcoossee New Member

Read the following at: http://www.organicconsumers.org/2006/article_3540.cfm

It'll be interesting to see the arguments that are made using the "18%" fact.

Livestock Over-Production & Over-Consumption Generating 18% of All Greenhouse Gases

* Livestock's Long Shadow
    By Geoffrey Lean
    London Independent, 12.10.06
    Straight to the Source

"A United Nations report has identified the world's rapidly growing herds of cattle as the greatest threat to the climate, forests and wildlife. And they are blamed for a host of other environmental crimes, from acid rain to the introduction of alien species, from producing deserts to creating dead zones in the oceans, from poisoning rivers and drinking water to destroying coral reefs. The 400-page report by the Food and Agricultural Organisation, entitled 'Livestock's Long Shadow,' also surveys the damage done by sheep, chickens, pigs and goats. But in almost every case, the world's 1.5 billion cattle are most to blame. Livestock are responsible for 18 per cent of the greenhouse gases that cause global warming... Fuel to produce fertiliser to grow feed, to produce meat and to transport it - and clearing vegetation for grazing - produces 9 per cent of all emissions of carbon dioxide, the most common greenhouse gas. And their wind and manure emit more than one third of emissions of another, methane which warms the world 20 times faster than carbon dioxide."

2. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(narcoossee @ Dec 13 2006, 06:25 PM) [snapback]361908[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know if you're posting this to mock the basic idea, and I admit that I have not read the report. But if you understand the notion of "triangulation", in the sense of using several independent methods to gauge something, I'll add my two cents to suggest this is not an unreasonable finding.

I did a fairly serious audit of my family's energy use, including all consumables -- gasoline, home and water heating, electricity, and food -- where the food figure was based on published estimates of the fossil fuel calories required to generate each edible calorie, for the typical American diet. I converted each figure to the equivalent amout of gasoline.

Prior to the change in diet described below, the results showed that, of our annual fossil fuel use:
    11% was gas for the cars.
    14% was space heating/water heating with natural gas.
    32% was for electricity
    38% was for food.
    There was a small residual category for other identifiable sources (e.g,. air travel)

So, for my family, the single largest fossil fuel use, among our consumables, was food.

Drilling down, within food, grain fed meat was by far the largest single source of fossil fuel use. Animal protien accounted for 25% of calories, but 75% of (implicit) fossil fuel use, for the basic reason that it takes a lot of grain to make a pound of meat. For beef, the usual estimate is 10 lbs of grain for each lb of beef. For other animals, less.

So what.

Well, since I figured this out, we switched to grass-fed beef, via a local (Shenandoah Valley) farmer who served our local farmers' market. Depending on the estimates I use, that saved the equivalent of hundreds of gallons of gasoline. Exactly how much depends on which set of fossil-fuel-calories-per-edible-calorie estimates I use.

IN other words, not even giving up meat, merely switching to a local, grass-fed meat source, saved about as much energy as if we had simply stopped driving our cars all together. At no hassle to us, with (probably) a modest dollar savings (by buying in bulk), and probably with health benefits (as the meat is leaner and has what the best available research would characterize as a better mix of fats).

So, I have come to believe in this analogy: grass-fed beef is to food, as compact fluorescents are to electrical use. They are the lowest of low-hanging fruit in terms of energy savings. They allow you to maintain your existing lifestyle at far lower fossil fuel cost.

In that context, without actually having read the report, based on my family's consumption patterns, I would not dismiss the notion that the raising and eating of grain-fed cattle is responsible for some significant share of GHGs being emittted. What exactt figure? Beats me. The point is that, with some modest effort, you can do something about it.

3. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is powerful. I, too, haven't read the report but i am aware from prior research that a meat laden diet is not typically environmentally sound. Not only do you have to take into account Chogan's points about the management of cattle with a grain fed diet, you have to take into consideration the clear-cutting of land, the water used for the irrigation of the grains that will be fed to the cattle and the fuel utilized for the harvesting of the grains.

Kudos to you Chogan for making such a positive impact.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We don't need hybrid cows, just exhaust gas recirculation to cut emissions. I think a piece of garden hose and some duct tape should do nicely. :blink:

Tom