1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Periodic P Lock Malfunction

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by HeccinPengu, Oct 2, 2023.

1. HeccinPengu

HeccinPengu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So I recently bought a 2010 Prius at 176,000 miles on Facebook marketplace and I have had the "P lock Malfunction when parking" screen come on a few times, the issue is, that it will come and go at random, and nothing I do can make it constantly appear or disappear.

Sometimes pressing the brake pedal a couple of times while the car is off will make it go away next start-up, some times it's turning the car into accessory mode and then shifting to N then Park and turn it on. Other times just driving the car like normal and then turning it off for 15 minutes will make it disappear when coming back to it. These are all steps I have found on this forum or general internet browsing.
    I have gotten the battery checked and charged by an auto parts store, and they said it came back as good (it was also clearly replaced late last year since it passed QC on 7/22), I have taken out all the fuses in the engine and under the driver's side dash, non looked broken or damaged, and were seated fine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I have checked every time I see the screen come on and the actual parking brake works along with the car being in park will stop it from rolling, which tells me that mechanically, the systems must be working correctly.

Thank you!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    next time it is on, scan the code. there are threads here that detail the troubleshooting tree.

iirc, it is often corrosion on an ecu pin or connector.