1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Perma EV Mode?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Robroy, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Robroy

Robroy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have a 2010 Prius base and I would like to keep it EV mode more often. Unless I crawl, the car uses ICE almost instantly. I do deliveries and make approximately 120 stops in 3 hours, so charging shouldn't be much of an issue. I've done some research here, but I haven't found something that would give me direction on how to do this. I read where in Europe/Japan they have a EV switch that keeps the ICE from kicking in?

Please help, much appreciated in advance! :)

2. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There's not much point in trying to stay in EV. 1) Its only good for a short distance. 2) Emphasizing EV is less efficient than the computer's choice of EV/ICE because of the conversion losses in charging and discharging the battery.

F8L likes this.
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know.

What do you mean by use's ICE almost instantly? Upon acceleration to gain speed and torque it is going to kick into ICE pretty quickly.

From a stop, mine kicks into ICE synergy pretty quickly. This is a hybrid...not a full electric. Usually if the vehicle is warmed up and the battery charged, once you reach whatever speed, you can usually pull back and drop it into EV mode, if the speeds are low enough.

If you are making 120 stops in 3 hours, and constantly turning the vehicle On and Off...that may explain why the ICE is running so much. If the vehicle is never really allowed to fully warm up and/or is in constant state of warm up.

In any case as pointed out, you wouldn't want to be in full EV mode all the time anyway. Do you actually turn the vehicle off at all these stops? The Prius does best when allowed to be fully warmed up, and in combining short trips.

Jeffrey Jessup likes this.
  4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    EV is not good for 120 stops in 3 hours. The Prius already knows what it's doing.

ewxlt66 likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! you may be better off with a pip. also, someone here has an 07 with 8kw engineer system for private sale. all the best!(y)

6. Robroy

Robroy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks all. So in future I'll consider PIP.

7. Robroy

Robroy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Question on the stops, should I idle or turn off each time?

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unlike earlier US models, the 2010 already has an EV switch. When the car overrides that switch and turns on the ICE, it is doing so for good reason.

If conditions are safe to do so, let the car idle during stops. As soon as it is warm enough for the EV mode portion that is available, it will auto-stop the ICE on its own. Then it won't need to go through the warmup cycle again.

When the ICE turns on by itself later, it means any of the following:
    * The HV battery level has dropped too low, and needs to be recharged;
    * The ICE coolant temperature has fallen too low, and must be warmed;
    * The exhaust catalyst temperature has fallen too low, and must be warmed;
    * You are asking for more acceleration than the EV mode alone can supply; or
    * You are exceeding the EV-only mode speed.

9. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The car can handle extended "idling" ( in P with Ready light on) with no problems. Your mileage will be better if you can leave it in idle.