1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Permanent Air Filters - in home

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by h2photo, Jul 26, 2008.

1. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just wondering if anyone uses these are what they see are the pros/cons of them. It seems silly to buy the disposable ones when there are ones you can take out, rinse, & put back in!

If you do have any recommendations, which brands?

TIA!

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I use an electronic air cleaner in both homes. In essence, an electrostatic precipitator. A bit of a PITA to wash the cells, but excellent filtering. If you allow the cells to get dirty, efficiency drops off. Poorly designed ones also tend to put ozone into the home

I cut out large furnace high-eff filters to use in the intake of my heat recovery ventilator. That way, all the fresh air sucked into my house is filtered first. Makes a huge difference in indoor air quality

The cheap washable filters are no better than cheap furnace filters, with the advantage you wash them out instead of tossing them

3. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks Jay, that seems to be a bit over my head lol so I guess we'll just stick with what we've got for now!:rolleyes: