1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Permanent hitches - do they affect MPG's?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cycledrum, Feb 21, 2013.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm thinking a hitch might affect the airflow under a Prius car, even a small hitch for accomodating a bike rack. Just curious, without bike rack hanging on back, anyone noticed a drop in MPGs with hitch installed?

Thanks in advance

2. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It almost certainly does, I suspect not enough to be noticeable over the uncertainties in the equation.

3. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've had one for the last 20,000 mi. ....can't say I can tell any difference.....but, I would agree; it probably doesn't help......

4. Bob Hahn

Bob Hahn Wingman08

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Certainly the weight is < 30lbs, so weight is no issue. Since the the thing is attached under the rear bumper, I can't imagine ant impact on the aerodynamic, my thought is there would be so small, if any impact it's simply no concern. There are other concerns but not MPG's.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Tork hitch is mostly tucked inside, so it should have less impact than those where the crossbar is exposed. I haven't noticed any reduction, but am not in a position to do rigorous A/B tests. It is more expensive than others.

With the rack and bike attached, highway mpg does drop quite significantly.

6. jaymac

jaymac membore

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I can't tell any difference in mpg. I have a Curt hitch. I think the weight is a much bigger factor than aerodynamic drag but the tow anchor that is removed from the left rear when installing the hitch is a heavy piece of steel so that mitigates the weight of the hitch somewhat.

7. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    on longer distance drives (most of my commuting is short) i can still achieve above 45mpg. I've had my hitch on "forever" and i also have 17" tc rims... shrug.. i notice no difference. with a bike rack attached, i noticed a big difference.

i tend to not speed on the highway... my brother does get better mpg than me when he travels at high speeds... so maybe in the end it only really effects at higher speeds (i rarely go above 70mph)