1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Persistent 3013 error code

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rkasperski, Mar 5, 2016.

1. rkasperski

rkasperski Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've reconditioned all the cells of the traction battery and I'm still getting the error code 3013. I've ensured that the battery modules in slots 5&6 are balanced and good enough. I've got a couple of questions.

1. Is there anyone in Vancouver Bc who does battery repair.
    2. I only have a basic odbc reader which reads generic codes(elm 327 wifi + dash command). If I were to use a Prius appropriate reader would I learn more? If so can you recommend one that will read them.

Thanks

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you watched their voltages under load while driving?
    If your basic OBDII reader doesn't do the job you could buy torque app and use that to monitor their voltages.

3. rkasperski

rkasperski Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The load on discharge was only about 0.7 amps from the charger that I have. What amperage should they discharge at? And what can I use to achieve that? thanks

4. rkasperski

rkasperski Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Finally managed to get an android phone with torque pro installed. I logged all the voltages of the battery blocks and their internal resistances along with the amp draw. Cleared the error codes, turn on logging, drove car until lights came on. Very clear from looking at the log that battery block 3 was bad.

The suggestion was that I do a load test but I don't have the gear so I thought I'd try something else. I shuffled the blocks around, cleaned corrosion off the bus bars, cleared the codes, turned on logging and drove until all the lights came on. I have pictures before and after so I know what batteries are where. My expectation was that the original bad block would be reported as the bad block but in its new location. Under the assumption that battery modules are numbered from 1 going from the ECU to the other end of the battery pack the bad modules moved from block 3 to 13 but the ECU reports the error as block 7 and the batteries in block 13 look indistinguishable from the other batteries that aren't bad. In the first log it was very obvious that block 3 was much worse than any of the others. The strange thing is that if I number the batteries from the non-ECU end then battery block 3 ended up as battery block 7. The docs that I've seen mostly seem to agree that they are numbered from the ECU end.

When re-installing the bus bars I torqued the nuts to 5nm which is ~43in-lbs which is slightly less than the 48in-lbs that I've seen quoted. Can't see as how this makes a difference.

Next I'll replace the two that it says are bad and see what happens. Any insight would be appreciated. thanks

5. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Blocks are numbered from the end opposite the ECU on Gen2.

Refer to post #5 and quit screwing around :D.

It will stick out like a sore module shaped thumb.

I'm sure you have something similarly priced in Canada.