1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Personal Best After Installing EBH!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Green Hokie, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Installed my Engine Block Heater about 2 weeks ago and just posted my best tank yet! 671 miles at 66.3 mpg average. Finally had to fill her up tonight and could only put 10.179 gallons into the tank. I really wanted to hit the 700 mile mark but did not want to risk it. The last bar had been flashing for about 8 miles and I was getting a little nervous. I've never dared to drive more than 10 miles once the last bar starts flashing. Oh well, maybe if I cut back a little more on A/C usage, I'll get 700 miles on the next tank. Now, if I could just eliminate interstate driving from my daily commute to work, I think I could easily get 700 mile tanks every time. :lol:

[attachmentid=9996]

Attached Files:

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Congrats. That's a fine looking screen you've got there.

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Hokie @ Jul 19 2007, 11:41 PM) [snapback]482001[/snapback]</div>
    There is no doubt in my mind! Great job, Peter. 70 MPG+ is right around the corner.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    omg.. and here was I boasting a week ago that I reached 902kms...

5. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks, guys! May I ask how far you've personally driven after that last bar starts flashing? I've heard as low as a few miles and as high as over 100 miles. Surely, I could push it much past 10 miles, based on my average mpg and the summer weather. I'm guessing those who are really getting 100+ miles are running mostly in electric mode that entire time.

6. Paul Bickley

Paul Bickley New Member

thats a great screen. I have done 592miles on my first tank but second tank wasnt too clear as I had to fill up early. My goal is 600miles on a tank which should be acheivable in the UK as we dont really need the AC on too much!! Could you advise what this EBH actually does and if its something a Non qualified Mechanic could do. cheers Paul

7. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blackbird @ Jul 20 2007, 02:54 PM) [snapback]482371[/snapback]</div>
    Greetings, Paul. The Engine Block Heater (EBH) is simply a small tubular heating element that you can purchase as an aftermarket Toyota accessory. From what I understand, the Prius comes standard with this heater already installed in certain countries with colder climates. For the rest of us, it's an accessory. Anyway, you "simply" insert this heating element into an existing hole located on the engine block and then plug it into a power outlet with the supplied power cord. I said "simply" because it can actually be a bit of a challenge to install this heater... mainly because of where the hole is located on the engine block. By using this EBH to preheat the engine before your first drive of the day, the Prius will take less time to warm up to optimal operating temp... meaning the ICE (gasoline engine) may run less. The result is you may see a small improvement in fuel economy.

To see a picture of the EBH, go to the accessory shop in PriusChat. Also, I recently posted a guide on how to install the EBH in the Prius Modifications section of this Forum. It is titled, "Want to Install an Engine Block Heater yourself? This guide may Help". In addition, there are several other threads posted in this forum by members with much more knowledge about the Prius than I, with instructions/tips on installing this heater. Do a search for "EBH" or "Engine Block Heater" and you'll find a wealth of information on this subject.

Good luck & feel free to contact me with any questions.

Cheers,
    Peter

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Hokie @ Jul 20 2007, 06:01 AM) [snapback]482163[/snapback]</div>
    Farthest I've pushed is 70km

9. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    hmm... about 43 miles. Think I'll take a can of gas with me next time and see just how far I can go. I recall reading somewhere that once you are truly out of gas, you should have several seconds to pull off the road (and add some gas) before all the warning lights go crazy on you. Hope this is correct.

10. Paul Bickley

Paul Bickley New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blackbird @ Jul 20 2007, 07:54 PM) [snapback]482371[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks very much Peter for the info, I will check out the links you mention. Regards Paul

11. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Hokie @ Jul 20 2007, 09:01 AM) [snapback]482163[/snapback]</div>
    I've never tried to push it. I fill up as soon as it starts flashing. Or before. For example, on my trip to Hybridfest Thursday I filled up before it started flashing. I was in unfamiliar territory on the highway in Indiana, and I didn't want to push my luck not knowing where the fillup opportunities were.

12. VABeachPrius

VABeachPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Way to go, Green Hokie. There is a little more than 2.0 gallons when the pip starts flashing on my car. I have gone as far as 230 miles on a flashing pip. Good Luck.

13. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks, Chris. Wow! 230 miles?! That's just sick! No way I can get that much after the last pip starts flashing, especially with my normal driving conditions/routes. However, if there are indeed 2 gallons left, then I should be able to get around 120 miles. I'll definitely take can of gas with me next time and find out just how far I can go.

14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My first run to ICE stop went ~150 miles. The following four times came in around 70 miles with the shortest interval ~63 miles.

I put my spare gas can in the car after it starts flashing. When it runs out, I use EV to a safe place to pour in the gallon can and then drive to my refueling station.

Bob Wilson

15. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks, Bob. That's quite a variance. Was there much difference in the driving conditions (weather, traffic, terrain, etc...) between when you got 150 versus 63?

16. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Hokie @ Jul 22 2007, 06:54 PM) [snapback]483317[/snapback]</div>
    Only the first one went 150 miles. The others were clustered around 70 miles. My thinking is the first "run it dry" may have 'reset' the float some how. In fact, when I was at 140 miles on that first event I began to wonder if my neighbor was sneaking over and putting a little extra gas in the tank . . . or my wife.

Bob Wilson

17. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oh Great!! Another Virginia hypermiler coming up the pipe. What's a guy suppose to do.

Wayne

18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Hokie @ Jul 20 2007, 09:01 AM) [snapback]482163[/snapback]</div>
    Nice Work! That high mileage stuff ... Addictive, isn't it. I'd personally never try to go over 40 miles on the blinking pip if hypermiling because I fear the beginning of the pip blinking is likely random.

19. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks, Bob. Indeed, that would have been a cruel trick! Interesting hypothesis about the guess gauge resetting itself to a different float point, after your first "run dry" attempt.

Wayne, next on my mod list is a ScanGauge II and the EV switch (from Sigma). So, the other Virginia hypermilers better watch out! Just kidding, of course. :p With as much interstate driving as I do, I don't think I can compete with guys like VaBeachPrius, JimboK and Skwyre7.

Hill, Yes... very additive. I do not plan on pushing it every time the last pip starts flashing. However, I do want to experiment over the next few occasions just to see for myself what to expect in terms of range for my style of driving. I'll take some extra gas with me and pull over immediately to refill when I run out. From my limited understanding of the Prius, this will not cause any harm to the hybrid system. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Hokie @ Jul 23 2007, 01:00 PM) [snapback]483624[/snapback]</div>
    Better make sure the gas can holds 3 gallons. It sometimes takes that much just to get the system to acknowledge that you did in fact add gas. Wouldn't that be a drag to be half way accross Mojave Desert ... 30 miles from no where ... pouring your 2 gallons in and still get nothing?