1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Personal Lights won't work

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by harper42, Jul 22, 2006.

1. harper42

harper42 Member

I just got my Prius TODAY, and have been trying out every little thing. The lights, behind the visors, in the book referred to as personal lights...... I turn the "on/off switch" and neither the passenger light or the driver light will come on. Do I need to have some other switch set a certain way to get them to work? Thanks for your help. I was also worried about the red blinking "car" on the dash, when I turned the car off. It keeps on blinking. But I think I figured out that it is the theft deterrent system working, and that it is supposed to stay on. I hope I'm right about that.

2. Bearcatzzz

Bearcatzzz Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dulcimer @ Jul 22 2006, 07:16 PM) [snapback]290725[/snapback]</div>
    Did you slide open the slide covering the mirror when you had the light switched to on?

3. harper42

harper42 Member

NO..... Do I need to do that?

4. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Page 108 in your owner's manual describes the "vanity light:"

Is your visor clipped in place?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dulcimer @ Jul 22 2006, 09:16 PM) [snapback]290725[/snapback]</div>
    Correct. It's really just an indicator light intended to warn would-be criminals. See page 7 for details.

5. harper42

harper42 Member

Both visors are clipped in place. We lowered the visor and turned the switch to on, and nothing happened - both on drivers and passengers sides. I wonder what could be the problem.

6. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I haven't tested this, but is the interior light switch off, by chance? It's the switch beside the front interior dome lights (look up). See page 115 for details.

7. Bearcatzzz

Bearcatzzz Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dulcimer @ Jul 22 2006, 07:23 PM) [snapback]290729[/snapback]</div>
    I had the same problem figuring out how to operate. My wife told me about the sliding the mirror cover. I tried that and it worked. I haven't played with enough to see if light switches on/off with flipping the visor. I'll check later (it's a nice pleasant 109 F outside). :blink:

8. harper42

harper42 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stan57 @ Jul 22 2006, 07:39 PM) [snapback]290738[/snapback]</div>
    I'll try it tomorrow with the mirror cover opened. This is by far the smartest car I ever heard of..... knows if I actually need light to see in the mirror, or if I don't even have the mirror uncovered! 109 !! And we thought it was hot here in Indiana when it was in the 90's all last week!

9. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Okay, so I just tried it out on my way home. The interior light switch beside the dome lights has nothing to do with it as I originally hypothesized, but you do have to have the visor at a certain logical angle, the vanity light switch must be in the "on" position, and the vanity mirror slide cover must be open fully.

10. marjam

marjam Member

Agree with Brandon. The switch must be on, the mirror "open" and the visor at the angle at which you would be using the mirror. If you use the visor as a visor or close the visor the light goes off. Very smart car!

11. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Mine won't work if the visor is up or all the way down toward the winshield. Plus the mirror covers need to be almost all the way open.