1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Personal rant

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bwilson4web, Oct 28, 2008.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

It wasn't until Congress went into recess without passing HR 5734 that I realized how obsessed I've been on defeating the "Bell the Hybrid Act." Two 750 mile trips, one to DC and one to HybridFest; about $500 in mailing costs; about $300 in keyfobs and a development kit, and; well over 200 hours of labor. The only thing worse would have been for this terrible legislation to pass. Fortunately, I have only two remaining tasks and hopefully this will put it to bed.

I'm mostly unhappy that this effort was necessary because it delayed so many more interesting investigations (and often made me poor company.) My only I regret was not being more effective. For example, I should have had a press package when I went to DC and some of my mailings could have been more effective. Still I have learned lessons on how the legislative system works, which is nothing I would wish on anyone.

I want to thank everyone who helped along the way. The petitions, letters to Congress, newspapers and every independent action helped. No one person can affect the course of legislation, it takes a team. But our greatest ally was the truth, the facts and data, and Dr. Christopher Hogan was invaluable for assembling them.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Bob Wilson

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This isn't much of a rant. I can give you some pointers about ranting, or if you want to learn from a pro, you can talk to my wife.

On the other hand, thanks for all of your work fighting this ridiculous piece of legislation.

Tom

3. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Or: listen to Molly Wood on the "Buzz Out Loud" podcast. Now, THERE's a ranter par excellence! Google "mollyrant" or look it up in Wikipedia. :)

4. Mjolinor

Mjolinor New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    You have a wife you can talk to? I can't get a word in edgeways with mine.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Every morning I get on my knees and thank god I'm single!

Oi! You married guys!

6. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What do you do with all your free time? Lucky man.

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have a second property - the "hobby farm" I keep talking about - where I try to spend as much time as possible. I like to tinker, weld, and last year started to get into woodworking. I'm hopeful I can build a wood model of a Hummer and a steam engine train, though it might take me 1-2 years to patiently finish it

My job requires travel all over the world, and this is something I now wish I hadn't agreed to. I'm at the stage of my life where I would prefer hanging around the house.