1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Personal Review Of Lexus 400h

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by V8Cobrakid, Apr 30, 2005.

1. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I test drove the Lexus 400h today.

I was impressed with the ride. It was very smooth with no sway or leaning. I didn't feel any bumps and acceleration/braking wasn't felt. A true luxury car in my opinion.

I was a little dissapointed in the key start. The Lexus GS now uses Smart Start Smart Entry but the 400h requires a key.

I like having all my controls on the steering wheel. the lexus has a few. I have to reach over to pull up the map screen. I was not happy about that one.

I was smiling like a little child on his birthday after i tested the acceleration. It's quick. very quick. Very smooth. The HSD is more seemless than the prius.

There is no " no arrows ". ther HSD works the way the prius should. a little more electric push from electric at start too. (due to larger and higher rpm motors)

I think i could beat the EPA numbers. On highway i know i can pull over 28. In city, i might be able to pull over 30. Potentially 40 anyone? we'll see.

Our lexus is arriving on the 5th of May. I'll post more after i drive it a little more.

As usual, i know more than the sales agents. HSD hasn't changed that much. He was telling me dumb little things like " no breakin period"... well.. if you want your car to last more than average, i would take caution to at least a 500mile break in period.

The dealer also mentioend B gear. He said something about "under 35... low gear... ".. i cut him off and mentioned it engages the engine which uses compression to slow the car down instead of using breakes. he seemed to shut up after that.

gee.. only if toyota or lexus would hire me. i could sell these a lot better than the dealers. another guy was trying to explain the power breakdown in the HSD. he sounded like an idiot in my point of view. Another guy out on the lot needed my help. i gave him many little tips and told him some cool info that almost all prius owners knwo... er.. priuschat prius owners know. :)

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If only Toyota hired all of us :D

ok, that's it. I'm calling the dealer on May 6 (comes out on the 6th for us) and booking a test drive :p

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hope your dealer is doing test drive. only 2 of 6 are doing test drives in this region.

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I inquired about a test drive last Sun when I tested the HAH and FEH and he gave me his card and told me to phone him before going down.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hehe. ok my turn! :D

I test drove the RX400h today. It is very powerful and very smooth. The engine is quiet and though it gets loud under harder acceleration, I found it a bit less intrusive than in the Prius (maybe b/c of Lexus' liberal use of sound deadening material). Lowered the average to 9.0L/100km during the test drive :p. Braking was uneventful and short (from 60km/h). Met some weiiird crazy ppl on the hwy during the test drive. Had some guy change lanes then slam on his brakes (tyres screeched) behind us, accelerated then braked again. Note, it's a two-lane hwy and I was on the right lane. Then some woman on the left lane beside that maniac started horning. Then she fingered me (assuming that it's MY fault that I didn't let the maniac PASS even though SHE could've slowed down and let him change in front of her) when she passed me. :roll:

Anyway, the RX was quite impressive. I lament the lack of the steering wheel functions on the RX' steering wheel (only audio, bluetooth and "Display" for the instrument panel functions). Wished RX owners could've had the luxury of our SKS too.

Edit: On the consumption screen, they've replaced the green leaf cars with "E" symbols :(. They're similar to the ones in the Classic Prius except that they're green squares instead of yellow diamonds. Also, I somehow managed to get 4 "E"s driving on nothing but flat roads. The highest I ever got in my Prius was 3 green leafs