1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Personal Review: the iPad 2

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by SageBrush, Apr 13, 2011.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    iPad 2 review

Picked up Monday at the local University bookstore. Curious that the usual suspects are sold out but the Uni was not. Apparently lucky timing.

I will not attempt to duplicate other reviews or be comprehensive, but rather comment on the aspects of iPad ownership I and my wife most care about.

So first, the iPad is a notebook computer replacement for my wife. To fill the bill it has to print, not overheat when watching movies (ala MacBook Air), sit nicely on gym equiptment, not make the wife regret buying a device without a DVD, and lastly the virtual keyboard has to at least be acceptable. We have a Mac-mini hooked up to the large plasma display in the house, and I am slowly but surely giving it server functions too. So now the mini is a print server for the iPad, and it also streams video really, really well. I have not tried to stream more than one video at a time, and at least for now DVD video cannot be played in real time. First I rip and re-encode. The other wants mentioned earlier are well cared for: no heat problems, and the keyboard is fine for email and web posts. Say, half a page fine, perhaps more as experience is gained. The trick by the way to using the keyboard is to let the OS correct typos.

I also set the mini to be a WebDAV server so that the equivalent of a storage device for documents would be available but a glitch is present. I may get around to solving the problem although I suspect my wife may never use the utility so I am not too motivated.

The iPad has two very attractive attributes that are in the "you have to experience them to appreciate them fully" category. One is the long battery life. It is *great* to not have power cords strewn over the kitchen table, or to have to track down a charger during the day. Truly liberating. The other thing we keep gushing about is how the device feels and looks. It is svelte, and almost sensual to hold. I know the iPad 2 is not that much lighter than the first generation, but it feels much different. Like the difference between the first and most recent iPod. The smart cover only adds to the appeal. Speaking of the smart cover, it is a feat of industrial design. I keep taking it off and folding it in the air to discern how it clips, swivels and gains structural rigidity. Neat stuff.

The first day my wife left the notebook computer on the kitchen table open and ready for use. By day #3 it is still there, but now sits closed in a corner. I expect it to be a reservist very shortly.

I think the iPad will not only be a well respected computer, it will continue to delight by virtue of the sea of apps available for a couple dollars each. I don't buy Mac OS X software without a good reason since it usually costs $30 plus dollars, but the inexpensive iPad apps encourage software exploration. I had become somewhat blase in my computer ownership, thinking that I had all I wanted and neither faster or bigger was an attraction. The iPad is a new frontier and I am getting a real kick out of it when allowed. I know my wife will start taking it with her when she leaves the house, but by then hopefully I'll be able to buy a second without having to beg and scrounge.

2 people like this.
  2. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'd say that's a fair trade.

1 person likes this.
  3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thinking about getting the iPad 2 after the supply stabilizes, but then again, what will the iPad 3 look like? :madgrin:

4. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's pretty cool. I am not a computer guy, have no interest in a IPhone, but the Ipad makes a reasonable traveling replacement for the lap top if all you are going to do is some surfing and some writing and e-mail.

Typing is a bit of a chore, but it works ok. The shortcoming is the inability to print without using some wireless printer that I don't intend to buy. Many of the apps are just as easily used through Safari.

It's greatest thing is a way to casually show off pictures. The interface is great from I Photo and the display is really spectacular.

Get the bigger memory and forget the cell network stuff. If you wish to go on line, tether through an smart phone or mobil hot spot.

Icarus

5. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My wife and I both purchased iPads (1st Gen) when the price dropped after the introduction of the iPad 2. We have also almost abandoned our laptops, but there are still things that are better handled on the laptop, so I don't see them going into permantent retirement! The iPad truely is a revolutionary device, and we both had pretty much decided we didn't need one... Now that we have them, we wonder how we got along without them!

6. SPEEDEAMON

SPEEDEAMON Professional Car Nut

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I just received my iPad2 after a month of waiting. So far its been great and my purpose was to get away from the laptop. I've abandoned desk tops long ago so the iPad is a welcome step forward. I also purchased a Zaggmate with keyboard because I plan to write a lot. The keyboard is small and needs getting used to but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

iPad 2 Case-Aluminum iPad Cover & Wireless iPad 2 Keyboard | ZAGGmate

But the iPad is fantastic and is a great companion to the iPhone.

1 person likes this.