1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Personalized plate to speed up the CA carpool sticker application?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ecobuny2, Jul 26, 2006.

1. ecobuny2

ecobuny2 New Member

This message is relevant to Californians only, please ignore if it is not relevant.

So by now we all know that the quota to give out California carpool sticker is almost up. To apply for the sticker, you need to wait for the license plate (2-3 weeks average based on prior posts), then apply for the sticker (which will take approx a few more weeks). By then, the quota may have already be reached!

One of the guys on priuschat.com suggested getting a personalized plate first BEFORE getting the car and apply immediately. I've done just that. I ordered a personalized plate a few days ago. I also bought a Prius yesterday (yay!!!). However, my dealer says he can't do anything to register the new plate. He says the DMV will simply issue me a plate and then I can apply for the sticker then. I went to the DMV today and the person who worked there said pretty much the same thing.

Has anyone else gotten the same answer? Does this mean that in fact, personalized plates do NOT speed up the process?

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It can speed up the process, but not the way you did it.

This is what I did.

I bought my Prius. I had a VIN number and the paperwork from the sale. The dealership faxes the stuff from their end.

Within a day or two, I went online to the DMV website and I purchased a personalized license plate, using my car's VIN number. After they confirmed that they had accepted my personalized license plate I then went online to apply for the HOV stickers. It's a pdf you fill out and then mail in with a check. I filled it out using my VIN number and my personalized license plate info. Even though I didn't have the plates they *had* accepted it so it was in the system. So I mailed that in.

I got my personlized plates about a week after the regular plates arrived. I got the regular in the mail and a notice to take the regular plates to the DMV to exchange them for the personalized ones. A little after that my HOV stickers arrived.

Yes, personalized plates does reduce the amount of time it takes.

I would NOT have ordered the personalized plates before I bought the car. I think that would just slow down the process of getting them assigned to your new car.

3. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eco Bunny 2 @ Jul 26 2006, 03:14 PM) [snapback]292793[/snapback]</div>
    No matter what you did, the BEST way to speed it up is to go back to the dealership and have them run a DMV report. They are tapped into a special system with the DMV that will give them your plate number immediately after they process the registration (can be within days of the sale). This information is not available if you call the DMV yourself. They will be able to give you your plate number immediately. Use that plate number to send your application. If your personalized plates have been attached to your VIN nubmer, it will show on that report. Otherwise, if you wait for the plates, it can take a lot longer then 2 weeks (took 5-6 wks for mine!).

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eco Bunny 2 @ Jul 26 2006, 03:14 PM) [snapback]292793[/snapback]</div>
    I can't speak to whether vanity plates speed things up, but I didn't need to wait for a license plate in order to apply for the stickers. http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=1...09&#entry216409 was my story. I don't recall when my plates arrived but I definitely didn't have any plates when I mailed out the Fastrak paperwork (not needed for you So Cal folks).

5. esskay

esskay Junior Member

If worse comes to worse, couldn't you go to the dealership, get them to hand you the DMV paperwork, and then physically go to the DMV yourself, wait in line and walk out with plates in hand?