1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pet Peeve

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by marjflowers, Sep 11, 2006.

1. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My latest pet peeve is tech support who don't speak English as their primary language. Don't get me wrong -- I do NOT believe in having English as an official language. But if they're going to speak English, for God's sake, speak it where I can understand!!!!!!

I had a VERY frustrating 3 hours on the phone with Dell last night. I suppose when you're having computer problems (at least for me, not a techie and basically clueless), your threshold for patience is lower than usual. But every other sentence I uttered was "I cannot understand you" or "Would you please repeat that slowly." I was about to scream! It didn't help that the first guy said he had to hang up and he'd call me right back. He didn't. Maybe he was as frustrated as I was.

Does this bother anyone else?

Peace --

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I am less bothered by people who speak English with an accent, than with people who are clearly reading a script and appear to have no actual knowledge of the machine or system they are supposed to be supporting.

On the other side, someone told me (and I repeat this as mere rumor) that Apple Support is pulling out of India because they are too good! They are so competent at what they do that they are demanding higher wages, undermining the whole reason for outsourcing in the first place.

I have dealt with companies that consistently had extremely knowledgeable support staff, and with companies that consistently had support staff who knew as little as I did about the product.

A company whose services I have used several times in the past (an excellent company in other respects) has a first-layer phone support staff who do nothing but read from the company's catalog, which is available on-line. To get any information at all you have to ask to be put through to the next layer, or have a direct phone number (which I do now, as they give it to past customers).

3. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjflowers @ Sep 11 2006, 03:36 PM) [snapback]317897[/snapback]</div>

If I remember correctly, Dell outsources their tech support call centers to other countries, though I don't remember which one. Normally, I wouldn't have a problem with recieving help from someone who didn't learn English first, but if you're going to provide support to a nation that is primarily English speaking, you need to actually speak English, not pretend to. It's not so much what language is being spoken, it's pretending to speak a language when you really can't. If I tried to use my VERY limited French with a Frenchman, he would laugh his head off at me, because I would really only be pretending to speak French. Does Dell think it dosen't matter if we can't understaind their tech staff, just because America is supposed to be a diversified country? Wake up Dell, and make sure your staff can actually converse with a native speaker of the language they are supposed to be using!

I usually find it easier to go out on the net and learn from scratch how to solve my problem myself then to try and get help from tech support.

4. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hawkjm73 @ Sep 11 2006, 04:10 PM) [snapback]317948[/snapback]</div>
    That would be great, except I am such an ingoramous when it comes to the computer that I have no idea where to start looking. I am electronically challenged! And don't even talk to me about my cell phones with cameras!

In defense of the technicians I have dealt with, they do a very good job with English. If I were doing something simple (to me), like ordering flowers, I probably wouldn't have a problem with the communication barrier. But when I start out frustrated even before I call tech support, the compounded frustration puts me over the top.

I have this theory that if Dell offered a fee-based service using people who speak English with an American accent, people would pay. After last night, I know I would.

Peace --

5. brasche

brasche Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's just a matter of course... the Capitolist end game. "There is nothing that can't be made a little worse and sold a little cheaper."

6. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If buying things at the lowest possible price is the sine qua non of your shopping experience, then don't be surprised if customer service ranks lower than a snake's instep. We've shipped these jobs afar. India has legions of young people working for the Yankee half-dollar. Don't expect to hear your local dialect on the far end of your call for help.

Read Thomas Friedman's "The World Is Flat." And learn why "Buy American" doesn't mean very much anymore. Dell is in Texas but their help line people all sound like Peter Sellers imitations.

7. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been in tech support myself for many years. When I call Intuit for help (for which I pay something like $400/year), or Dell...I expect the person on the other end of the line to know more than I do. Generally, they do not. And, yes, I can tell I am usually speaking to someone in India or thereabouts. My most recent Quickbooks call lasted for more than one hour, with my "helper" telling me "Quickbooks does not do that," and me saying, "Yes, it does, and has done for more than two years, and let me speak to your supervisor" for more than 20 minutes. In the "good old days," before all tech support was outsourced, I used to have some VERY interesting conversations with people who were impressed that I knew how to get to a DOS prompt. Now, I have to tell THEM. And pay for the privilege. They can have all the schools they like to get folks to speak idiomatic English, but they seem to be neglecting the tech part.