1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PETA kills 95% of animals entrusted to its care.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Trebuchet, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I don't think it's a good idea to get rid of PETA but would it be to far out of line to advocate the use of PETA's own methods on those in charge? I wonder what "transferred" means? :mad2:

PETA 'killed more than 95% of...

2. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oops, sometimes reports leak out...

You know why PETA raise a big stick about fur but leave leather alone? It's a lot safer picking on a lady wearing a fur coat than it is to challenge bikers wearing leather.

2 people like this.
  3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm sure they'd have something to say if I put down 95% of the animals in my care.

Agree with you on the fur/leather debate. Would love to see the resulting Police incident when some 18 year old student threw paint over a load of bikers :cool:.

It is often said that for fur the animal is killed purely for that fur and is wasteful, yet with leather the animal is also used for its meat. But that isn't always the case. Personally I think animal welfare is important for both cases and avoid the importation of meat or leather and fur products from Countries with lax wealthfare. Which is worse, a cheap leather coat purchased from China or a Canadian fur coat reared to the correct high welfare standards? And then I won't even start the subject about religious slaughter methods for meat produce.

I'm sure vegetarians will say that all animal products including meat shouldn't be used and are bad for the planet, and that argument has some merit but that utopian situation isn't going to happen in my lifetime.

4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There is a big difference between abusing an animal and euthanizing an animal.

5. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Vegans will stress that much more than vegetarians but either will still state that animal products are bad for your health and most will point out that killing animals is wrong.

6. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I agree. However, they both end up dead and this is the crux of the matter to many. Also, animals senses are extraordinarily fine tuned and can sense death in the air. So the fact that you take it to a shelter where the euthanizing is to take place with the sense of death everywhere could, by some, be construed as a form of abuse. They need to keep the two separated. Imagine if your senses were as good, a trip to the ER/hospital would be quite a different matter and I already hate the smell of ER's. Can't imagine adding the smell of death, rotting or burned flesh to the mix.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Is there an organization that does a better, or even equal, job as PETA in advancing animal welfare ?

If not, this thread is just a troll and should be deleted.

8. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Why? It's in the right place and the op has a long history with Priuschat. It's a valid poing ready for discussion (or whatever :) ).

Be interesting to see different peoples views whatever they may be. To add a UK balance. We have the PETA equivalent in the RSPCA who also put down significant numbers of animals yet give the impression they're the number one carer of said animals. A smaller charity called Dogs Trust does the same job as the RSPCA yet NEVER puts a healthy dog down. Perhaps something similar happens in the USA with PETA?

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Society_for_the_Prevention_of_Cruelty_to_Animals]Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogs_trust]Dogs Trust - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

9. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    PETA has a 95% kill rate! So I hope you're not classifying that as a "good job" or anywhere in the general vicinity of acceptable? Has PETA done some good? Yes, but this isn't a good example and neither are some of the things listed below that you probably didn't know about PETA. Here are the other organization's you seem to be unaware of and with the a 95% kill rate I'm sure you'll find some more worthy of the $37 million in donations that PETA gets from people that actually care for animals and not their own agenda as listed in #1 listed below.

[ame=http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=animal+rights+organizations&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8]animal rights organizations - Google Search[/ame]

10. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't see why you are classifying euthanasia deaths as a "bad job".

Animal shelters are overcrowded thanks largely from people who refuse to spay/neuter their animals and let them run around making babies, as they do. There isn't enough demand for rescued animals versus homes that actually want animals. What do you do with the rest? Your options are to either keep them alive and let them live in a cage for their life or kill them. If they live a cage, they are unhappy and a great drain on resources that could be spent better elsewhere. If you kill them, it is a drop in the bucket, because some multiple more were probably just born in some shed.

My sister works in a "kill-shelter" as she puts herself through vet school, and volunteers in a "no-kill shelter". Both receive very little funding, both are packed to the point where the only time they can accept a new animal is when one is adopted which is rare or when one dies.

If people actually listened to Bob Barker, this issue wouldn't be so bad.

It would still be bad because lots of people like puppies and kittens. Unfortunately they grow into dogs and cats. Lots of great dogs and cats in the shelters with their only crime being that they grew up and weren't as "cute" anymore.

1 person likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    kinda like people. :)

12. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nearly 100% of hospice patients die, yet they are considered an effective and ethical organization.

Tom

13. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Nobody wants to adopt hospice patients. :(

14. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Listen closely 2K . . . :ear:

:director:
    I never said that!
    I said . . .​

"PETA has a kill ratio of 95%"

A Nevada shelter had a "no kill" year. If that shelter can manage that on a budget much, much smaller than PETA, I'm guessing that PETA can also manage a kill ratio substantially lower than 95%. It could even be higher than that if the term "transferred" is ever defined. :nod:

Unless of course you consider killing 95% of adoptable animals entrusted into your care as humane and acceptable. In that case, just to get you to shut up and stop embarrassing yourself and other Prius drivers on the internet . . . I :yield: the point.

You're right a 95% kill ration is quite acceptable if we kill painlessly. :rolleyes: I'll even send them more money, will that do it?

The lest I'd expect out of you is that PETA continue to advocate animal rights but not accept neglected animals into their care because they have not proven themselves capable of doing so. :doh:

15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No, one branch may have a high euthanasia rate. Why must you infect any discussion with political garbage ?

Question: If that branch is unable to find adopters, what exactly would you have them do ?

16. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    ? :noidea:

I don't see the connection between hospice and euthanasia?

These animals are healthy and adoptable according to the report.

17. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    How over-crowded are they ? What would they do if over-crowding exceeded whatever limits they accept ?

18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You are missing the obvious. If the branch could find homes for the animals no euthanasia would occur.

This sounds like PETA is a victim of its own success. Anyway, save your faux outrage for the people who abandon their pets.

19. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Politics?!?!? Wth? :noidea: :loco:

What would I do? Seriously you can't think of anything? OK, I'll play along. . .

With a $37 million dollar budget I'd have them ship to a different branch that has a lower kill ratio. That's a no brainer, but keep trolling you just might get me to stumble yet. ;)

20. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Just as with 2K if you find a 95% kill ratio humane and acceptable I :yield: maybe that's the attitude PETA want's, you should apply. :glare:

Now go find me another well funded organization with as high a ratio.